본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Do I Deserve This?" Sydney 'Citizen Hero' Receives 2.44 Billion KRW in Donations from Around the World

Over 43,000 People Worldwide Join in Donations
"Do I Deserve This?... Let's Unite to Save Lives"

Ahmed Al Ahmed, a 43-year-old "citizen hero" who prevented further casualties by disarming a gunman with his bare hands during a mass shooting at a beach in Sydney, Australia, has received donations totaling more than 2.44 billion KRW.


According to a Reuters report cited by Yonhap News Agency on December 19 (local time), Ahmed, who is currently receiving inpatient treatment at a hospital in Sydney, was presented with more than 2.5 million Australian dollars (approximately 2.44 billion KRW) raised online.


"Do I Deserve This?" Sydney 'Citizen Hero' Receives 2.44 Billion KRW in Donations from Around the World Citizen hero Ahmed Al Ahmed who stopped the Sydney shooting terror with bare hands. Photo by AFP Yonhap News Agency

Zachary Derenioski, who led the fundraising campaign on the crowdfunding site GoFundMe, visited Ahmed's hospital room that day to deliver the check. Upon receiving the check, Ahmed asked, "Do I deserve this money?" to which Derenioski replied, "Every single cent, yes you do."


More than 43,000 people from around the world participated in the fundraising, including prominent American hedge fund manager Bill Ackman, who donated 100,000 Australian dollars (about 98 million KRW).


"Do I Deserve This?" Sydney 'Citizen Hero' Receives 2.44 Billion KRW in Donations from Around the World Zachary Derenioski handing over 2.5 million Australian dollars to Ahmed Al Ahmed. Photo by Reuters Yonhap News Agency

Ahmed said, "I saved people out of genuine intent." He added, "This country is the best in the world," and prayed, "God, protect Australia."


When asked if he had a message for the donors, he said, "All of humanity must stand together," and urged, "Forget all the bad things and keep moving forward to save lives."


Previously, on December 14, a mass shooting occurred during the Jewish festival "Beach Hanukkah" at the famous Bondi Beach in Sydney, resulting in the deaths of 15 people. At the time, Ahmed approached the armed suspect from behind unarmed, and after a fierce struggle, managed to disarm him. During the incident, Ahmed sustained gunshot wounds to his arm and hand, underwent surgery, and is currently recovering in hospital.


Ahmed is a Muslim immigrant from Syria who reportedly moved to Australia around 2006 in search of work and obtained Australian citizenship. He now runs a fruit shop locally while raising his two daughters, aged six and five. His courageous actions, as an ordinary citizen, quickly spread across social media, and people around the world praised him as a "true hero."


Australian politicians also paid tribute to his actions. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese visited Ahmed's hospital room on December 16 to offer his support, calling him a "true Australian hero." Prime Minister Albanese told reporters, "Ahmed represents the very best of our country," and emphasized, "We will not allow this country to be divided. That is exactly what the terrorists want."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top