본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

[2020 National Audit] Sung Yoon-mo "Immediate Suspension of Wolseong Unit 1 Operation, Considering the Intent of National Tasks"

[2020 National Audit] Sung Yoon-mo "Immediate Suspension of Wolseong Unit 1 Operation, Considering the Intent of National Tasks" Seong Yun-mo, Minister of Trade, Industry and Energy (right), and Jeong Jae-hoon, President of Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (left), are seen waiting for the start of the audit at the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy's national inspection held on the 22nd at the Industry, Trade, and Small and Medium Venture Business Committee of the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul. (Photo by Yonhap News)


[Asia Economy Reporter Moon Chaeseok] "The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy's decision on April 2, 2018, to 'immediately suspend operation' of Wolseong Unit 1 was made considering the intent of the national agenda and the background of the early shutdown plan."


Minister Sung Yoon-mo of the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy stated this on the 22nd during the National Assembly's Trade, Industry, Energy, Small and Medium Business Committee (Sanjoongwi) audit.


Lee Cheol-gyu, the opposition party secretary of Sanjoongwi, asked Minister Sung, "Do you accept the results of the Board of Audit and Inspection?"


Earlier on the 20th, the Board of Audit and Inspection revealed that the economic feasibility was unreasonably undervalued in the decision process for the early shutdown of Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power's Wolseong Nuclear Power Plant Unit 1. They withheld judgment on the validity of the early shutdown decision.


Minister Sung responded, "It is regrettable and unfortunate."


Rep. Lee asked Minister Sung and Jeong Jae-hoon, President of Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, "Besides economic feasibility evaluation, have you conducted safety and local acceptance surveys?"


President Jeong replied, "(Safety) was reviewed," and "Local acceptance is not something we investigate."


Rep. Lee pointed out, "During the 20th National Assembly, former Rep. Lee Hun asked if the early shutdown of Wolseong Unit 1 was due to economic feasibility, and the answer was yes, so the public believed it was shut down early because of economic reasons. However, once the Board of Audit and Inspection started their audit, the narrative changed to say that the decision was made considering safety and local acceptance comprehensively, which caused confusion."


He continued, "The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy said on November 6, 2017, and March 15, 2018, that it was reasonable to operate until suspension rather than immediate suspension, but on April 2 of the same year, under the direction of former Blue House Secretary Chae Hee-bong, a different decision was made. How can such a significant decision be reversed in just a day or two?"


Rep. Lee said, "If the public says they cannot accept nuclear power plants due to fear, then if safety, local acceptance, and economic feasibility are comprehensively and objectively investigated and the policy is implemented accordingly, who would oppose it? The public is angry because they feel deceived by the government."


He questioned, "The deletion of audit data by Ministry officials is an unimaginable crime involving the deletion of national property, but the minister calls it 'individual deviation' and expresses 'regret.' Shouldn't this be called an unforgivable crime that must never happen?"


Minister Sung said, "The claim that I changed my words is not a fact."


Rep. Lee asked again, "When you were an administrative officer at the Presidential Secretariat's National Situation Room in 2006, you provided materials so that the late President Roh Moo-hyun could tell the public that 'South Korea's nuclear power plants are the safest and most economically efficient technology.' Since 2006, has South Korea's nuclear technology regressed by 2020?"


Minister Sung answered, "From the September 2018 confirmation hearing, I stated that Wolseong Unit 1 should be considered not only for economic feasibility but also safety, acceptance, and environmental factors. The Ministry's policy decision on April 2, 2018, to 'immediately suspend operation' was made considering the intent of the national agenda and the background of the early shutdown plan."


He added, "I think the deletion of data should never have happened, so I expressed 'regret' and apologized. You mentioned 'the people's right to choose,' but the energy transition policy has been carried out according to various government procedures as a presidential campaign pledge and national agenda."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top