본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Lawsuits and Accusations... Daily Clashes Ahead of 'Gaecheonjeol Rally'

Ban Notice Due to COVID-19 Spread Concerns
Some Conservative Groups Protest "Freedom Violation"
Progressive Organizations File Police Insult Complaint

Lawsuits and Accusations... Daily Clashes Ahead of 'Gaecheonjeol Rally' Choi In-sik, Secretary General of the August 15 Emergency Measures Committee, held a press conference on the morning of the 25th in front of the Seoul Administrative Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul, announcing the intention to file a suspension of execution lawsuit against the police's notification banning the National Assembly on Gaecheonjeol. [Image source=Yonhap News]


[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Gwan-ju] As the Chuseok holiday approaches, the controversy surrounding the 'Gaecheonjeol rally' continues day after day.


According to the police on the 28th, about 900 rally reports were received across Seoul on October 3rd, Gaecheonjeol. Among them, the police issued prohibition notices for rallies with more than 10 participants and for rallies held in prohibited areas such as Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, and Nowon-gu. Even for rallies with fewer than 10 participants, prohibition notices are issued if the rally is judged to pose a risk of spreading the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). So far, about 120 rallies have been issued prohibition notices.


In response, some conservative groups have opposed, claiming it infringes on the freedom of assembly and demonstration. The August 15 Emergency Measures Committee, which led the Liberation Day rally, filed a lawsuit with the Seoul Administrative Court to suspend the effect of the rally prohibition notice. Choi In-sik, Secretary General of the Emergency Measures Committee, said, "The refusal of the Gaecheonjeol rally is not to protect the lives of the people but to protect the regime," adding, "We will not back down despite threats of 'political quarantine' and 'COVID-19 martial law'." The committee also announced plans to forcibly hold a rally of 1,000 people at Gwanghwamun Square on Gaecheonjeol.


The progressive camp has also launched a counterattack. The Anti-Corruption National Participation Solidarity filed a complaint with the National Police Agency the day before against former Future United Party (now People Power Party) lawmaker Min Kyung-wook on charges of insult. This was because Min criticized the police's plan to revoke the driver's licenses of participants in car rallies on his Facebook and referred to Police Chief Kim Chang-ryong as the "leader of a dog pack," which was deemed insulting to police officers. Shin Seung-mok, head of the Anti-Corruption National Participation Solidarity, claimed, "It was an insult to the Police Chief and 150,000 police officers who intend to exercise strict public authority according to laws and principles to prevent COVID-19 infection."


The ruling party is demanding thorough measures against the Gaecheonjeol rally. According to data submitted to Rep. Park Wan-joo of the ruling Democratic Party, a member of the National Assembly's Public Administration and Security Committee, the police referred 559 people for prosecution as of the 22nd of this month for violating the assembly ban order and are investigating 614 others. Rep. Park said, "The Police Chief should stake his position and take all measures to thoroughly block the rally so that the public can feel safe," adding, "The organizers and participants of the rally must be held fully accountable with a zero-tolerance policy."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top