본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

'Drone Intrusion into North Korea': Presidential Office Reiterates "No Intent to Provoke or Incite"

"We will promptly disclose the results of the investigation"
Kim Yo-jong emphasizes, "There must be an explanation regarding the entity involved"
President Lee orders "swift and thorough joint military-police investigation into possible civilian dro

On January 11, the government reiterated that it has no intention of provocation or escalation regarding North Korea's claim of a drone incursion. This statement was in response to North Korean Workers' Party Vice Department Director Kim Yo Jong, who said in a statement, "What is clear is the fact itself that a drone originating from South Korea violated our national airspace," and added, "There must be a concrete explanation regarding the entity responsible."

'Drone Intrusion into North Korea': Presidential Office Reiterates "No Intent to Provoke or Incite" Yonhap News Agency

Previously, on January 10, the Presidential Office convened a working-level meeting of the National Security Council (NSC). President Lee Jaemyung ordered the formation of a joint military-police investigation team to conduct a swift and thorough investigation, as the possibility was raised that a civilian may have operated the drone.


The National Security Office stated on January 11, "The government once again confirms that it has no intention to provoke or escalate tensions with the North," adding, "Following the initial investigation by the military, the government will clarify the facts through a joint military-police investigation and promptly release the results." The office also emphasized, "The government will continue to take practical measures and make efforts to ease tensions and build trust between the two Koreas."


That morning, Vice Department Director Kim stated that the only clear fact regarding the drone that entered North Korea was the violation of airspace by a South Korean drone, insisting that an explanation is necessary. She said, "The essence of the situation does not lie in whether the operator was military or civilian," and, referring to the previous day's statement by the South Korean Ministry of National Defense, added, "Personally, I would say that the official position of the South Korean Ministry of National Defense, which clarified that it has no intention to provoke or escalate tensions with us, was a wise choice for its own survival." However, she warned, "If South Korea continues to choose provocation against us in the future, it will not be able to bear the terrible consequences that will follow."

'Drone Intrusion into North Korea': Presidential Office Reiterates "No Intent to Provoke or Incite" Yonhap News Agency

On the previous day, President Lee ordered the formation of a joint military-police investigation team for a swift and thorough investigation, as the possibility was raised that a civilian had operated the drone. President Lee stated, "If it is true that a civilian operated the drone, it constitutes a serious crime that threatens peace on the Korean Peninsula and national security," and issued these instructions. Earlier, the Presidential Office convened a working-level meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) in response to North Korea's claim of a South Korean drone incursion. The meeting, chaired by Kim Hyun-jong, First Deputy Director of the National Security Office, discussed the circumstances surrounding North Korea's claim and possible response measures.


The Ministry of National Defense denied any involvement of the South Korean military in the alleged drone incursion and stated that it would thoroughly investigate the possibility that the drone was operated by a civilian. Kim Hong-chul, Director of Defense Policy, announced the ministry's position on the statement issued by North Korea's General Staff regarding the drone, saying, "The initial investigation found that our military does not possess the drone in question, and there is no record of our military operating a drone at the time and date specified by North Korea."


Director Kim explained, "We plan to conduct a thorough investigation in cooperation with relevant government agencies regarding the possibility that the drone was operated in the civilian sector." He emphasized, "We have no intention to provoke or escalate tensions with North Korea, and we will continue to take practical measures and make efforts to ease tensions and build trust between the two Koreas."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top