Jeon Hangil Expresses Aftermath of Supporting Former President Yoon and Emergency Martial Law
"I Was Cut From Broadcasts and Lost Contact With Everyone Around Me"
"But I Will Continue to Speak Out for Liberal Democracy"
Jeon Han-gil (55), a Korean history instructor who sparked controversy by publicly supporting former President Yoon Seok-yeol after the December 3 emergency martial law incident, made remarks suggesting his retirement, saying, "I have been lecturing for 26 years, but these days I am thinking about whether I should quit."
On the 8th, Jeon said on his YouTube channel 'Jeon Han-gil News,' "My life completely changed in just 3 to 4 months after the emergency martial law incident on December 3 last year. I don't think I can return to the podium for the time being," he said.
On the 8th, former President Yoon Seok-yeol and Korean history instructor Jeon Han-gil, who sparked controversy by defending emergency martial law, confessed that his life has completely changed over the past four months and that he does not think he will be able to return to the classroom for the time being. YouTube channel 'Jeon Han-gil News'
Jeon lamented, "The moment I reveal my political stance, I get cursed by the opposing side. I was called trash by a friend, my wife wants a divorce, many students who once respected me said they were disappointed, and I lost contact with people around me." He continued, "I appeared on broadcasts frequently, but I was cut from the main broadcast. Also, I was completely edited out of Netflix's 'Pokssak Soksassuda.' I was living respected and earning well, but my fate completely changed," he expressed.
Despite this, Jeon emphasized that his public political activities are solely for the sake of liberal democracy. He said, "Some people say, 'Jeon Han-gil came out to make more money' or 'Is he trying to become a member of the National Assembly?' That's not true. I have lived honestly," reiterating that his public political involvement is purely for liberal democracy.
He claimed to have earned 6.5 billion won from lectures alone last year, saying, "I paid 2.75 billion won in income tax. This is not a lie. I am doing this even though I am giving all that up." He added, "I have lectured for 26 years, earned well, been respected, popular, and even published books, but after making a political declaration, my life is flowing regardless of my will. I have to raise my voice for my young students. I came out worried that our liberal democracy is collapsing and about the world they will live in."
Jeon was known as the top Korean history instructor. However, after the emergency martial law, as the impeachment crisis unfolded, he suddenly expressed opinions supporting martial law and opposing impeachment, and by sympathizing with election fraud allegations, debates have erupted even among examinees. Some students asked him to focus on lectures as the exam was approaching, but Jeon refused, saying, "Even if I get criticized now, I will proceed this way." Some students disappointed by Jeon's actions even left his fan cafe. The number of cafe members once reached 360,000 but is currently around 340,000.
Jeon has continued his political statements through his recently launched one-person media 'Jeon Han-gil News.' While watching former President Yoon's Constitutional Court ruling live, he expressed frustration but said, "Please donate for early presidential election victory," and "I will prepare for the next presidential election." In response to criticism, Jeon rebutted, "I already signed a long-term contract last year with an annual salary of 6 billion won, guaranteeing stable income for the coming years," and said, "Interpreting my stepping into politics after giving up all the income sources I have enjoyed so far as 'money' is an unreasonable distortion beyond common sense."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

