본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Former Lawmaker Kim Young-sun Undergoing Intensive Prosecutor Investigation for Two Consecutive Days

Former People Power Party lawmaker Kim Young-sun, who is suspected of having financial transactions with Myung Tae-gyun, a key figure in the allegations of Kim Geon-hee's involvement in candidate nomination interference, is undergoing intensive prosecution investigations for the second consecutive day.


The Criminal Division 4 of Changwon District Prosecutors' Office (Chief Judge Kim Ho-gyeong) converted Kim from a witness to a suspect in June and conducted the third investigation around 10:30 a.m. on this day, following the one on June 3.


Kim appeared at the Changwon District Prosecutors' Office in Gyeongnam at around 10:15 a.m. on the 4th and was questioned until after 9 p.m.


Before entering the building, Kim met with reporters and once again completely denied the allegations of quid pro quo candidate nomination.


He emphasized, "The money given to Mr. Myung was not in exchange for the nomination, and (former accounting officer) Kang Hye-kyung was the one who gave money to Mr. Myung."


He said, "I do not know under what circumstances or to whom Kang gave the money. Kang said she spent money on me, so she gave it," indicating this as his position.


Regarding the polling costs incurred during the presidential election, he reiterated, "I learned about it through media reports, and it has nothing to do with the nomination."


Former Lawmaker Kim Young-sun Undergoing Intensive Prosecutor Investigation for Two Consecutive Days Former People Power Party lawmaker Kim Young-sun is answering reporters' questions after completing his first prosecution investigation as a suspect.
[Photo by Lee Se-ryeong]

After undergoing about 12 hours of prosecution questioning around 10:10 p.m. the previous night, he said, "I made it clear that I have no relation with the Future Korea Research Institute."


Kim stated, "Regarding the part where former accounting officer Kang Hye-kyung took money out of political funds on her own, that is a separate issue," and drew a line by saying, "Kang will have no excuse."


He emphasized that "since Kang is the accounting staff, she has full authority over political fund deposits and withdrawals, and I have supervisory authority," and that the approximately 90 million won in salary paid to Mr. Myung was led by Kang.


He also dismissed any contact with President Yoon Seok-youl or Mrs. Kim regarding the nomination, saying, "I have never contacted President Yoon or Mrs. Kim about the nomination," and "I have heard that Mr. Myung said Mrs. Kim was receptive to his stories, but I have never heard anything directly related to the nomination."


Regarding the meaning of the recorded statement where he said he benefited from Mr. Myung, he mentioned, "I am grateful to everyone who helped in the election."


He said he had "never heard" about the phone call recordings between Mr. Myung and President Yoon Seok-youl recently disclosed by the Democratic Party of Korea.


He added, "Kang's recorded statement is my best defense," and claimed, "Kang set a trap to extort money using the recordings with me as leverage."


Kim is suspected of giving about 90 million won in salary to Mr. Myung dozens of times since August 2022 after being elected in the Changwon Chang constituency in the June 1, 2022, by-election.


Kim claims the money was repayment of a loan during the election process, but the prosecution suspects it was in exchange for the nomination.


Earlier, Kang, who was Kim's accounting officer, appeared as a witness at the National Assembly Legislation and Judiciary Committee's audit on the 21st of last month.


Kang alleged that during the last presidential election, Mr. Myung helped candidate Yoon Seok-youl through illegal opinion polls, and in return, Kim received the nomination for the June 2022 by-election, with Mrs. Kim being involved in the process.


The Future Korea Research Institute conducted a total of 81 opinion polls at that time, and Mr. Myung, known as the actual operator, did not receive about 370 million won generated in the process but instead exchanged it for Kim's nomination, Kang claimed.


The prosecution plans to summon and investigate Mr. Myung as early as this week.


Mr. Myung, facing his first investigation as a suspect, is reported to have hired a lawyer in preparation.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top