본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

‘Illegal Filming Charges’ Hwang Ui-jo Admits Guilt in First Trial... Prosecution Seeks 4-Year Prison Sentence

Soccer player Hwang Ui-jo, accused of 'illegal filming,' admitted to all charges in his first trial. On the same day, the prosecution requested a four-year prison sentence for Hwang.


‘Illegal Filming Charges’ Hwang Ui-jo Admits Guilt in First Trial... Prosecution Seeks 4-Year Prison Sentence Soccer player Hwang Ui-jo (32) arrived at the Seoul Central District Court building on the 16th to attend his first trial on charges of violating the Special Act on the Punishment of Sexual Crimes (filming using a camera, etc.) and is heading to the courtroom. 2024.10.16 Photo by Heo Young-han younghan@

On the morning of the 15th, Judge Lee Yong-je of the Seoul Central District Court Criminal Division 13 presided over Hwang’s first hearing on charges of violating the Sexual Violence Punishment Act (filming using a camera, etc.). The trial was originally scheduled for August 23 but was postponed to this day at Hwang’s request.


Hwang’s defense attorney stated, “He admits to all the charges,” acknowledging all allegations. When the court asked Hwang, “Do you admit that your actions are as your lawyer stated and acknowledge your wrongdoing?” he replied, “Yes.”


With Hwang’s side admitting all charges, the prosecution requested a four-year prison sentence and a five-year employment restriction. The prosecution stated, “Considering the videos filmed by Hwang Ui-jo, it appears the victims experienced extreme sexual humiliation, and the distribution caused irreversible serious harm to the victims.”


They added, “One of the victims clearly stated that she still does not agree to a settlement and is pleading for severe punishment. Although Hwang admitted the charges, he continuously denied them until reaching the courtroom, causing irreparable wounds to the victims, raising doubts about whether his remorse is sincere.”


In his closing argument, Hwang’s defense attorney said, “It is true that Hwang Ui-jo contested the charges during the investigation stage out of a sense of injustice, but he has acknowledged his wrongdoing and apologized at the trial stage.”


He continued, “Hwang Ui-jo has contributed to raising the status of soccer by actively playing as a soccer player for a considerable period, including winning a gold medal at the Asian Cup. He is making active efforts to restore the victims, and we ask for leniency so that he can continue his career as a soccer player and return to society as a rightful member.”


In his final statement, Hwang said, “First, I sincerely apologize to the victims who suffered harm due to my wrongdoing. I also deeply apologize to everyone who cared for and supported me for causing disappointment through my wrongful conduct.”


He added, “I will do my best to restore the victims. I will take this incident as a mirror and live without committing any wrongdoing in the future, doing my best as a soccer player.”


Hwang is accused of illegally filming videos of sexual intercourse without the consent of the other party four times between June and September 2022. It was investigated that there are two victims of Hwang’s illegal filming.


In June last year, Hwang filed a police complaint against his sister-in-law for blackmail and other charges after she shared photos and videos of him and women on Instagram. However, during the investigation, evidence of illegal filming was discovered. The sister-in-law who posted the videos and blackmailed Hwang was arrested and indicted in December last year and was sentenced to three years in prison.


The sentencing for Hwang is scheduled for December 18.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top