Owner Sends 10 Times the Amount After Misunderstanding Confirmed
Mr. A Says "There Should Have Been an Apology by Phone or in Person"
In an unmanned store within an apartment complex in southern Gyeonggi, a couple in their 30s was falsely accused of stealing ice cream, and their faces were exposed throughout the neighborhood. However, it was later revealed that this was a misunderstanding by the store owner.
On the 4th, Yonhap News reported the story of the couple who were wrongfully accused of theft and had their faces exposed. The man in his 30s, Mr. A, visited the unmanned store in the apartment shopping area with his wife on the afternoon of the 9th of last month and purchased 3,400 won worth of ice cream.
Mr. A paid at the kiosk using Zero Pay, one of the payment methods indicated inside the store, and then left. About ten days later, when he visited the store again and tried to pay for ice cream, he was shocked. There was a CCTV video capture photo showing his and his wife's faces posted in the store.
Below the photo, there was a message saying, "On June 9, 2024, around 7:50 PM, the person who purchased 4 ice creams and left without paying, please contact us."
Accused of theft, Mr. A immediately checked his previous payment records and confirmed that the Zero Pay payment had been processed correctly. He told the media, "There was a record of paying 3,400 won at the unmanned store at that time, and it was properly processed afterward as well," adding, "I was so shocked that I contacted the store owner using the phone number posted inside the store to verify."
Store owner B, who confirmed that it was his own mistake, later transferred 10 times the purchase amount, but it is reported that Mr. A did not accept it. [Photo by Yonhap News]
After receiving Mr. A's complaint, the store owner, Mr. B, confirmed the payment status and apologized to the couple. He sent a text message saying, "We apologize for posting your photos without permission," and "We will refund ten times the purchase amount," bowing his head. Subsequently, 34,000 won was transferred to both Mr. A and his wife, but Mr. A reportedly did not accept the money.
Mr. A expressed frustration, saying, "I wish they had apologized by phone or in person instead of sending a long message," and "I was not trying to get compensation by repeatedly requesting confirmation (of payment details)." It is reported that Mr. A is considering filing a lawsuit for defamation and other charges if Mr. B does not offer a sincere apology.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


