본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Israel Withdraws Troops from Southern Gaza Strip Despite Claims of Annihilating Hamas

Most Troops Withdrawn Leaving Only Small Forces
Egypt to Send Representative for Ceasefire Talks

Israel Withdraws Troops from Southern Gaza Strip Despite Claims of Annihilating Hamas [Image source=EPA Yonhap News]

As the conflict between Israel and Hamas surpasses six months, attention is focused on the sudden large-scale withdrawal of Israeli forces from the southern Gaza Strip. There is cautious talk of a possible ceasefire. Although both sides remain steadfast in their hardline positions, the prolonged war has increased public fatigue and economic burdens, lending weight to the possibility of expanding dialogue channels for ceasefire negotiations.

Israeli Forces Withdraw Almost Entirely from Gaza Strip, Leaving Only One Brigade
Israel Withdraws Troops from Southern Gaza Strip Despite Claims of Annihilating Hamas [Image source=AFP Yonhap News]

According to local media including The Times of Israel on the 7th (local time), the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced in a statement that "most ground troops, except for one brigade, withdrew from southern Gaza overnight." The 98th Division, which had been conducting operations centered around Khan Yunis, a key southern Israeli military stronghold, has pulled back, leaving only a small brigade remaining in Gaza.


This has led to interpretations that Israel may be preparing for a ceasefire or a shift in operations, but the Israeli government drew a clear line, stating that the war is not over. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in remarks at a cabinet meeting that day, "We once again make it clear to the international community that there will be no ceasefire without the return of hostages. Such a thing will not happen," emphasizing, "Complying with Hamas's demands would mean allowing a repeat of the massacre on October 7."


The IDF also explained that the withdrawal was not to end military operations but for troop rotation and to carry out new operations. IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi stated, "Senior Hamas leaders are still hiding throughout the Gaza Strip, and we continue to eliminate more terrorists and commanders, destroy terrorist facilities, and advance," adding, "Troop rotation with new reservists will take place, and operations will continue until Hamas is completely eliminated from Gaza."


The U.S. government also sees no immediate possibility of Israel stopping the war. John Kirby, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the U.S. National Security Council (NSC), said at a briefing that day, "The troop reduction appears to be for rest and regrouping. Their soldiers are really exhausted," and added, "It does not seem to be for new operations."

Both Sides’ Populations Weary After Six Months of Prolonged Conflict... Is a Ceasefire Breakthrough Possible?
Israel Withdraws Troops from Southern Gaza Strip Despite Claims of Annihilating Hamas [Image source=Reuters Yonhap News]

Despite statements from Israel and the U.S., international attention is focused on the upcoming ceasefire negotiations between Israel and Hamas. On the surface, both sides maintain a hardline stance, insisting there will be no ceasefire without conditions, but analysis suggests that as the populations, exhausted by the six-month-long conflict, begin to turn away from the war, authorities will start seeking an exit strategy.


According to CNN, Hamas announced that it would send a delegation to Cairo, Egypt, to participate in ceasefire talks the day before. While Hamas has maintained its original position of not withdrawing demands such as Israeli troop withdrawal and a permanent ceasefire, it has shifted from its initial stance of refusing to negotiate altogether. Israel also continues to hold a hardline position that there will be no ceasefire before the release of hostages and the complete dismantling of Hamas, but the withdrawal of troops from Gaza has raised expectations for a ceasefire agreement.


Even if these negotiations fail, the worsening public opinion about the war on both sides after six months of prolonged conflict makes it highly likely that meetings for ceasefire talks will increase. The international community’s backlash over the human rights issues of the 1.4 million displaced persons in Gaza also makes it difficult for both Israel and Hamas to continue the war indefinitely.


The Times of Israel quoted an Israeli government official saying, "Hamas has effectively lost its military capability to launch another attack on Israel, with 18 out of its 24 units wiped out in the past six months of fighting," and added, "Although Prime Minister Netanyahu has vowed to completely destroy Rafah, he has been reluctant to approve attacks for advancing into Rafah."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top