Jung Bong-ju "Will Stop Retrying" Accepts 'Nomination Cancellation'
Jung Ye-chan Runs as Independent "Will Stake Political Life"
Ahead of the April 10 general election, although nominations have been confirmed by both ruling and opposition parties, cases of nominations being canceled due to past controversial remarks have continued to emerge. The individuals whose nominations were reversed are showing different responses: former Democratic Party lawmaker Jeong Bong-ju has expressed his intention to accept the party's decision, while former Supreme Council member Jang Ye-chan and lawyer Do Tae-woo declared their candidacies after leaving the People Power Party.
Jeong Bong-ju, whose nomination for the Seoul Gangbuk constituency was canceled, stated on the 18th, "Today, politician Jeong Bong-ju intends to stop his passionate challenge after 20 years," and said he would accept the party's decision to exclude him from the candidate recommendation.
Former Democratic Party lawmaker Jeong Bong-ju is holding a press conference to announce his position at the National Assembly Communication Office on the morning of the 18th. Photo by Yonhap News
On that day, Jeong showed tears as he reflected on his political career. He said, "Over 16 years, my political challenges have repeatedly failed," adding, "This was because several faults that followed me like a label were repeatedly raised. Today, I stand again in that place of sorrow." He continued, "I will endure the pain once more," and said, "Let us immediately judge the vile prosecutorial dictatorship and move forward vigorously centered on Representative Lee Jae-myung for the proud victory of the Democratic Party." He also added, "I hope that my remarks from a long time ago, when I lacked reflection, will be the last to hold back a politician moving toward the future."
Previously, Jeong’s nomination for the Seoul Gangbuk constituency was canceled due to his 'crutch prize' remark and false explanations. In July 2017, on his podcast, Jeong said, "We go into the DMA (Demilitarized Area), give out prizes, and give crutches to those who step on landmines," which caused controversy when it became known. Later, on the 11th, Jeong apologized by phone to the concerned parties via Facebook, but the soldiers injured by landmines stated they had not received an apology, intensifying the controversy.
Jang Ye-chan, a former Supreme Council member nominated as the People Power Party candidate for Busan Suyeong District, also had his nomination canceled after past inappropriate remarks surfaced. However, Jang opposed the party’s decision and declared his candidacy as an independent after leaving the party. At a press conference on the 18th, he said, "Today, I stand here risking my political life to decide to run as an independent," adding, "I love the People Power Party so much that my heart aches. Though I am leaving the party temporarily, I will definitely return victorious with the residents of Suyeong District."
Former People Power Party Youth Supreme Council Member Jang Ye-chan, whose nomination for Busan Suyeong District was canceled due to a 'controversial remark' scandal, wiped away tears during a press conference held at the Busan City Council in Yeonje District, Busan, on the afternoon of the 18th. Former Youth Supreme Council Member Jang declared his intention to run as an independent candidate. Photo by Yonhap News
Jang shed tears as he expressed his grievances. He said, "If you examine the Democratic Party by the standards used to scrutinize my personal SNS posts from my twenties, how many people would be nominated?" He added, "Democratic Party leader Lee Jae-myung shamelessly travels the country as the opposition leader despite using profane language toward his sister-in-law."
Jang also said, "Though I may have made verbal mistakes in my youth, I have not lived a shameless life like them," and "The indiscriminate allegations and attacks that verge on character assassination online are not true. Spreading baseless suspicions about academic background and military service is a criminal act that kills a person's character."
Lawyer Do Tae-woo also received the People Power Party nomination for the Daegu Jung-Nam District but had his nomination canceled amid ongoing controversy over his 'May 18 distortion' remarks. On the 14th, the People Power Party’s nomination management committee decided to cancel Do’s nomination after a series of inappropriate remarks were revealed. In response, Do announced he would run as an independent after leaving the party.
There are also candidates whose nominations were not canceled despite controversial remarks. Yang Moon-seok, the Democratic Party candidate for Gyeonggi Ansan City Gap, was embroiled in controversy over derogatory remarks about the late President Roh Moo-hyun, but the party has decided to maintain his nomination. Kim Min-seok, head of the Democratic Party’s general election situation room, appeared on BBS Radio’s 'Jeon Young-shin’s Morning Journal' on the 18th and stated, "As far as I know, there has been no discussion about canceling the nomination so far."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.
![User Who Sold Erroneously Deposited Bitcoins to Repay Debt and Fund Entertainment... What Did the Supreme Court Decide in 2021? [Legal Issue Check]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026020910431234020_1770601391.png)
