"Since July 1 Last Year, 14 Searches Conducted at Gyeonggi-do Cheong"
"Search Dates Total 54 Days, About 70,000 Documents Seized"
"One Search Lasted Long-Term On-Site... Provincial Administration Paralyzed"
"Corporate Card Related Searches Twice in October Last Year, Three Times Including Today"
"40 Investigators in Today's Search, 23 Investigated at Secretary Office and 3 Other Locations"
Gyeonggi Province Governor Kim Dong-yeon is holding a press conference on the search and seizure at the Gyeonggi Provincial Government office on the 4th.
Gyeonggi Province Governor Kim Dong-yeon issued a stern warning regarding the prosecution's search and seizure of the Gyeonggi Provincial Government Office that began at 9:40 a.m. on the 4th, calling it an "excessive investigation, harassment investigation, political investigation," and stating, "Crossing the line and acting unfairly is not the role of the prosecution in the Republic of Korea. It must stop now."
Governor Kim held a press conference at the Gyeonggi Provincial Government Office in Suwon that afternoon and began by saying, "I usually feel good when holding press conferences, but today I do not feel that way," adding, "I am extremely displeased."
He continued, "This morning at 9:40 a.m., the prosecution suddenly stormed into the Secretary’s Office to conduct a search and seizure related to the former governor’s wife’s corporate card," and lamented, "I was working when they told me to stop using the computer and stand up. This is what happened this morning at the Gyeonggi Governor’s Secretary’s Office."
Furthermore, he said, "Even now, while I am holding this press conference, the search and seizure is ongoing. It is deplorable and heartbreaking. Where is this country headed? Is the Republic of Korea a prosecution state, a 'Geokju' state, and who is the real owner?" After questioning, he defined the current prosecution investigation as an "excessive investigation, harassment investigation, political investigation."
Governor Kim first criticized, "Since July 1 of last year until today, there have been 14 search and seizures at the Gyeonggi Provincial Government Office, spanning 54 days. Approximately 70,000 documents have been seized. On one occasion, they stayed for an extended period. Regarding the corporate card issue, there have been three search and seizures since I took office: twice last October and once today."
He particularly noted, "For today’s search and seizure, 40 investigators were deployed: 36 at the southern provincial office and 4 at the northern provincial office," adding, "There are 23 public officials under investigation, and the departments targeted include the Provincial Government General Affairs Division, the Governor’s Secretary’s Office, and the Provincial Council, totaling three locations."
He went on, "What possible connection could I, who took office in July last year, and my Secretary’s Office staff have with the former governor’s wife’s corporate card? This search and seizure is a stale rehash, a second or third round," and said, "The Secretary’s Office work has been paralyzed, and no tasks can be handled. Who is responsible for this obstruction of work? Do the 14 million residents of the province deserve to be treated like this?"
Governor Kim claimed that this search and seizure is a harassment investigation.
He said, "In the past month alone, the prosecution has summoned as many as 28 Gyeonggi Provincial Government staff members as witnesses regarding the corporate card issue, excluding previous investigations," raising his voice, "Some employees have undergone not only search and seizure but also home searches. Another employee had their mobile phone taken and not returned, so they bought a new one, which was also seized."
He then expressed indignation, saying, "Do not treat diligent and silent public officials as potential criminals," and asked, "How much longer must we endure this dusting and dragnet investigation?"
Moreover, he asserted, "The prosecution’s investigation of the Gyeonggi Provincial Government Office is clearly a political investigation," and claimed, "This investigation can only be seen as having a political purpose targeting the opposition party leader ahead of the general election."
In conclusion, he asked, "I ask President Yoon, is this the fairness and rule of law that President Yoon talks about? Is the prosecution fair now? Is the president fair? The people are watching with open eyes. They must know that the people are formidable."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

