본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

[Report] Despite Expanded Single-Use Plastic Restrictions Starting Today... "We Have to Use What’s Left"

Expansion of Single-Use Item Restrictions Starting Today
Ban on Plastic Bags and Paper Cups
Convenience Stores and Bakeries Say "We Have to Use Leftovers"
Effectiveness Declines During 1-Year Guidance Period

[Report] Despite Expanded Single-Use Plastic Restrictions Starting Today... "We Have to Use What’s Left" On the afternoon of the 23rd, a convenience store in Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu displayed a notice about disposable item restrictions on the calculator screen.
Photo by Oh Gyumin

[Asia Economy reporters Jang Se-hee and Oh Gyu-min] Starting from the 24th, restrictions on the use of disposable products will be strengthened, banning the use of plastic bags at convenience stores and bakeries. However, concerns have been raised that these rules may not be strictly followed due to the one-year grace period.


The expanded restrictions on disposable product use, part of the Enforcement Rules of the "Act on the Promotion of Saving and Recycling of Resources," which was amended and promulgated on December 31 last year, took effect on this day. Convenience stores and bakeries are prohibited from providing or selling disposable plastic bags and shopping bags. Restaurants and pubs are only allowed to sell disposable plastic bags and shopping bags.


Disposable Product Restrictions Expanded from Today... Plastic Bags and Paper Cups Banned

On the 24th, Asia Economy visited convenience stores and bakeries located in Seodaemun-gu, Yeongdeungpo-gu, and Seongdong-gu in Seoul, finding that more than half of the stores intended to continue using disposable products.


They acknowledged that they cannot use disposable bags or paper cups, but decided to continue using them because no fines (up to 3 million KRW) will be imposed during the one-year grace period. Most stores did not even provide notices stating that disposable bags would not be provided.


[Report] Despite Expanded Single-Use Plastic Restrictions Starting Today... "We Have to Use What’s Left" On the afternoon of the 23rd, a convenience store inside Yeouido Station in Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, is displaying a notice prohibiting the sale of disposable bags.
Photo by Jang Sehee jangsay@

Some Sell Disposable Bags After Notification... Burden of Dishwashing Also a Concern

Gu Jeong-hoon (39), who works at a convenience store in Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu, said, "I understand that during the one-year grace period, remaining plastic bags can still be sold. I plan to continue selling the remaining stock," adding, "The policies keep changing, so even we sellers get confused."


A man in his 40s, Kim, working at a convenience store inside Yeouido subway station in Yeongdeungpo-gu, said, "We have posted notices banning the sale of disposable bags, but since we need to clear out remaining inventory, we will sell them for now." He added, "Once the stock is depleted, we plan to sell paper bags, volume-based bags, and reusable bags as much as possible."


Choi, in his 40s, working at a bakery in Seongsu-dong, Seongdong-gu, said, "Switching paper cups to plastic cups immediately would be a burden due to dishwashing and other concerns. Since there is a grace period, it seems difficult to apply the rules right away."


[Report] Despite Expanded Single-Use Plastic Restrictions Starting Today... "We Have to Use What’s Left" On the afternoon of the 23rd, plastic cups and paper cups were piled up at a cafe in Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu. Plastic cups are restricted and no longer used, but it was announced that paper cups will be used during a one-year guidance period. Photo by Oh Gyumin moh011@

Lee Jin-ah (22), a part-timer at a cafe in Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu, said, "I was informed that plastic cups inside the store cannot be used starting today, but we will continue to use paper cups when providing a glass of water."


With the expansion of disposable product restrictions and the grace period delays being reversed, citizens also express inconvenience. Park Jae-ho (26), who came to buy items at a convenience store, said, "I’m wondering if I need to prepare a shopping bag like when going to a mart from now on when visiting convenience stores. Although the grace period is one year, I feel like it should be implemented starting today."


Housewife Kim Myung-ja (46) said, "Sometimes I think disposable products are more hygienic than multiple people sharing cups. I hope self-employed business owners pay a bit more attention to hygiene," adding, "I plan to bring a shopping bag when going to convenience stores from now on."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top