Telecommunications Review Subcommittee Announces New Review Results on the 9th
"Social Confusion... Feeling Social Responsibility"
[Asia Economy Reporter Cha Min-young] The Korea Communications Standards Commission's Communications Review Subcommittee overturned its October decision by deciding on a 'correction request (access blocking)' measure against YouTube content spreading the 'submarine collision theory' related to the 'Cheonan incident.'
On the 9th, the KCSC announced that it decided on a 'correction request (access blocking)' measure for eight YouTube videos containing distorted content related to the Cheonan incident. This review was conducted after receiving a new review request from the Cheonan Foundation on November 11.
Previously, the KCSC had ruled 'not applicable' on October 28 regarding the YouTube videos, following the military's request for deletion or access blocking, but faced protests from the Cheonan Foundation and others. The problematic YouTube posts claimed that the Cheonan was wrecked after grounding and damaged by a submarine collision, and that there were no burn marks on the ship's cut surface, arguing that it was not sunk by an explosion.
The Cheonan Foundation stated in a press release, "We strongly condemn the KCSC Communications Review Subcommittee's decision of 'not applicable' on eight YouTube posts related to the Cheonan sinking." They added, "The Cheonan was concluded by the 2010 Joint Civil-Military Investigation Team to have been attacked by a North Korean torpedo, and President Moon Jae-in also stated that 'the government's position is that it was North Korea's act.'"
The KCSC said, "Since the review applicant changed from the Ministry of National Defense to the Cheonan Foundation, the issue of defamation was additionally considered," and "We took into account social confusion caused after the previous decision, such as surviving soldiers refusing to attend the Cheonan launching ceremony."
At the meeting that day, four out of five subcommittee members voted for 'correction request,' and one voted for 'suspension of review.' Member Kim Woo-seok said, "This case was revealed through a fact-finding investigation involving domestic experts that the cause was a North Korean torpedo attack," adding, "Damaging the honor of the affected soldiers disrupts social order and is an act that ruins the nation."
Member Ok Si-chan said, "The Seoul High Court, which conducted a factual trial, acquitted the posts on the grounds that posts of public interest should be able to be self-corrected through mutual discussion, and if the law was correctly applied, the Supreme Court ruling is also expected to acquit," adding, "if the committee makes a wrong judgment, it could be subject to a constitutional complaint."
Member Lee Kwang-bok explained, "The previous 'not applicable' decision was made based on the 'principle of minimal regulation,' the first principle of communications review, and the protection of freedom of expression, but this caused social confusion by denying the government's announcement that the Cheonan incident was a torpedo attack by a North Korean submarine, so I voted for correction request."
Member Hwang Sung-wook said, "The review applicant changed from the Ministry of National Defense to the Cheonan Foundation, and I feel social responsibility for the social confusion caused by the committee's review decision."
The only member who voted for 'suspension of review,' Kim Yoo-jin, said, "I still believe that this video does not meet the criteria for causing social confusion, but regarding the newly requested review on defamation, I think the review should be suspended until the Supreme Court trial is concluded."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.



