본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

[Summary] "You treated us like COVID"… Opposition 'boils' over 'early soccer' Choi Jae-sung

Opposition First-Term Lawmakers Hold Fourth Day of Relay Protests at Cheongwadae
"They Said They Couldn't Meet Due to Quarantine Measures... Hypocrisy in Quarantine" Criticism
Early Soccer Club with Chief Choi Participates, "Following Quarantine Rules and Proceeding with Matches"
Chief Choi Apologizes, "There Was Negligence... Sorry"

[Summary] "You treated us like COVID"… Opposition 'boils' over 'early soccer' Choi Jae-sung Choi Jae-sung, Senior Secretary for Political Affairs at the Blue House, is attending the Senior Secretary and Aide Meeting held at the Blue House on the 30th. / Photo by Yonhap News


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] Choi Jaesung, Senior Secretary for Political Affairs at the Blue House, faced criticism mainly from opposition parties after it was revealed that he participated in a soccer match at an early morning soccer gathering in Songpa-gu, Seoul. Earlier, on the 27th, Choi had refused a meeting request from first-term lawmakers of the People Power Party who staged a so-called 'relay solo protest' at the Blue House, citing COVID-19 quarantine rules.


On the 30th, People Power Party lawmaker Heo Eun-ah posted on her Facebook page a message titled "Senior Secretary for Political Affairs, prioritize communication with the National Assembly over soccer." In the post, Heo explained, "Last Friday, first-term lawmakers of the People Power Party, including myself, headed to the Blue House to deliver a letter containing the people's wishes to the President," adding, "Choi, who said he would come out at 1:30 p.m., refused to meet opposition lawmakers citing COVID-19 quarantine measures and only sent an administrative officer to receive the letter after sunset."


She continued, "Since that day, our first-term lawmakers of the People Power Party have been continuing solo protests in front of the Blue House in subzero temperatures, calling for responsible action from the Blue House and the protection of the rule of law."


[Summary] "You treated us like COVID"… Opposition 'boils' over 'early soccer' Choi Jae-sung Joo Ho-young, floor leader of the People Power Party (fourth from the left), is visiting the fountain plaza near the Blue House on the afternoon of the 29th, where a relay one-person protest by first-term lawmakers of the same party is taking place. / Photo by Yonhap News


She added, "However, yesterday, Choi, who treated lawmakers of the main opposition party as if they were coronavirus patients, saying he could not come into contact with unspecified others because he had to accompany the President closely, reportedly attended and played in a local early morning soccer gathering in his former electoral district," expressing her frustration by saying, "I could not sleep after hearing this news."


Hwang Bo-seung-hee, a fellow party member who also participated in the Blue House protest, pointed out on Facebook, "Choi, who said he could not even meet to receive inquiry letters from People Power Party lawmakers due to COVID-19 quarantine rules, was active in a soccer club in his district on Saturday," criticizing, "This is double standards in quarantine."


Earlier, about ten first-term lawmakers of the People Power Party headed to the Blue House Yeonpungmun gate at 11:15 a.m. on the 27th to demand a response from President Moon Jae-in regarding the disciplinary request and suspension of Prosecutor General Yoon Seok-youl by Justice Minister Choo Mi-ae.


However, when the submission of the inquiry letter was delayed due to COVID-19 quarantine rules, they began a 'relay solo protest' and eventually received the inquiry letter through an administrative officer from the Senior Secretary for Political Affairs' office around 6:30 p.m., about seven hours after gathering in front of the Blue House. Since then, these lawmakers have continued the relay protest in front of the Blue House for four days as of the 30th, demanding a re-request for a meeting with the Senior Secretary and answers to the submitted inquiry letter.


[Summary] "You treated us like COVID"… Opposition 'boils' over 'early soccer' Choi Jae-sung Jeong Gyeong-hee (left) and Heo Eun-ah, first-term lawmakers of the People Power Party, are protesting in front of the Blue House on the 27th, holding a questionnaire and a hand placard to be delivered to President Moon Jae-in. / Photo by Yonhap News


Meanwhile, according to 'Yonhap News' on the 29th, Choi reportedly attended an early morning soccer club in Songpa-gu that day. He appeared at the stadium in sportswear and played for about 40 minutes, including 20 minutes in the first half and 20 minutes in the second half.


Choi's participation in the early morning soccer match occurred despite the Blue House's directive on the 23rd for all staff not to attend gatherings or events. At that time, the Blue House stated, "Small gatherings, events, and dinners have recently been identified as the root cause of the increase in COVID-19 cases," and "all Blue House staff were instructed to cancel meetings and events."


The government also maintained the current level 2 social distancing in the metropolitan area that day and announced additional quarantine measures, including suspending operations of facilities such as saunas for one week starting from the 1st of next month.


However, it was reported that Choi wore a mask during the match and did not gather for a meal with participants afterward. The Samjeon Soccer Club, to which Choi belongs, issued a statement on the 30th explaining, "All players wore masks during the game," adding, "We wear masks even while playing soccer, maintain a distance of more than 1 meter during breaks, and do not have meals after the exercise."


They further stated, "We requested Senior Secretary for Political Affairs Choi Jaesung to attend, watch, and play in the match with us, emphasizing that we actively participate in social distancing and wear masks while playing soccer," emphasizing, "On the day of the match, all 20 players actually wore masks while playing. We maintained social distancing during breaks and returned home without having a meal after the game."


Meanwhile, Choi apologized on the same day regarding the controversy over his attendance at the early morning soccer club.


In a statement released that day, Choi said the soccer gathering was "an occasion to encourage those who voluntarily created and complied with quarantine rules stricter than government standards," but admitted, "I should have been more cautious."


He added, "There was negligence. I am sorry," and emphasized, "I will make more careful judgments and conduct myself more prudently as a public official in the future."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top