본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

[Yang Nak-gyu's Defence Club] What Is the US Reaction to the Ceasefire Declaration?

[Yang Nak-gyu's Defence Club] What Is the US Reaction to the Ceasefire Declaration? [Image source=Yonhap News]


[Asia Economy Yang Nak-gyu, Military Specialist Reporter] Vincent Brooks, former commander of the United States Forces Korea, said about the Korean Peninsula end-of-war declaration, "It is worth considering and believed to be worth taking some risks." This appears to be a response to President Moon Jae-in's speech at the United Nations General Assembly last month, where he said, "War on the Korean Peninsula must be completely and permanently ended," and "I believe the start is the end-of-war declaration on the Korean Peninsula."


According to the Voice of America (VOA), former Commander Brooks stated on the 20th (local time) at the Korea-America Studies Institute (ICAS) fall conference held via video conference, "If the end-of-war declaration is a substantial signal of change in relations, South Korea will be able to approach North Korea in some way, and it could bring changes to the military posture of both sides, including the deployment of U.S. troops." He added that although North Korea would internally decorate the end-of-war declaration as a victory for propaganda, on the other hand, it is expected to reopen the door to dialogue and serve as an opportunity to draw cooperation in various fields such as the resumption of remains recovery and implementation of the September 19 military agreement.


However, he drew a line by saying, "(Not) everyone agrees with this idea, and it is not widely accepted," explaining, "Currently, it is stalled due to 'excessive pressure and insufficient engagement,' but if it goes in the opposite direction like the end-of-war declaration, North Korea may abuse it as it has in the past."


U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also spoke on the 21st (local time) regarding the Korean Peninsula end-of-war declaration, indicating that it is included in the North Korean denuclearization process. At a State Department briefing that day, Secretary Pompeo responded to a question about whether the end-of-war declaration mentioned by President Moon Jae-in at the UN General Assembly last month is possible without North Korea's complete nuclear abandonment.


Secretary Pompeo said, "There is no change at all in the U.S. approach to a series of issues related to North Korean denuclearization, which clearly includes documents that will change the status between North Korea and South Korea and a brighter future for the North Korean people."


This appears to be a statement that the end-of-war declaration and others will be included in the process of changing the current armistice status on the Korean Peninsula.


President Moon said at the UN General Assembly last month, "War on the Korean Peninsula must be completely and permanently ended," and "I believe the start is the end-of-war declaration on the Korean Peninsula." He also said, "The end-of-war declaration will be the door that opens the path to a permanent peace regime along with denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula," urging international efforts to realize the end-of-war declaration. Seo Hoon, Director of the National Security Office at the Blue House, who recently visited the U.S., also said on the 15th, "It is common sense that the end-of-war declaration cannot be separate from the North Korean denuclearization process," adding, "It has always been an issue on the negotiation table, and there can be no different thoughts between South Korea and the U.S. on that part."


Since the inter-Korean summit at Panmunjom in April 2018, the South Korean government has been promoting discussions on a trilateral (South-North-U.S.) or quadrilateral (South-North-U.S.-China) end-of-war declaration.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top