본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Is School Attendance Suspension Really Not Possible?" Parents Anxious After Elementary Student Confirmed Positive

One 2nd Grade Student at Anyang Yangji Elementary School Tests Positive for COVID-19
"Who Is School Reopening For?" Active Teacher's Cheongwadae Petition

"Is School Attendance Suspension Really Not Possible?" Parents Anxious After Elementary Student Confirmed Positive On the morning of the 27th, the postponed school reopening day for kindergarten, 1st-2nd grade elementary school, 3rd grade middle school, and 2nd grade high school students due to the novel coronavirus infection situation, students are attending school at Yeonyang Elementary School in Sejong City. The photo is not related to any specific expression in the article. [Image source=Yonhap News]


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] Parents' anxiety over in-person classes is rising due to concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) originating from the Coupang logistics center in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province. Adding to this are so-called 'dark figure' patients with unknown infection routes, asymptomatic patients, and notably, an elementary school student who tested positive, leading to growing calls for a complete suspension of in-person classes.


One second-grade student attending Yangji Elementary School in Anyang, Gyeonggi Province, was confirmed positive for COVID-19 on the 31st of last month. This student is the granddaughter of Pastor A (61, resident of Anyang 9-dong), who lives in Anyang, and was reported to have attended school on the 28th.


The student, along with her older brother in sixth grade at the same school, her grandparents (Mr. and Mrs. A), and her mother, all tested positive on the same day. Upon confirmation of cases within the school, the Anyang city health and education authorities set up a screening clinic at the school and conducted diagnostic tests on approximately 150 people, including staff and students who attended school on the same day as the confirmed student, children in the after-school care program, and accompanying parents.


However, once it became known that the confirmed student had already attended school, parents expressed concerns about the potential spread of COVID-19.


A man in his early 40s with two elementary school children, Mr. A, said, "COVID-19 is not completely over yet, so I don't understand why they are sending kids to school," expressing frustration. He added, "If a child tests positive and their health deteriorates, who will take responsibility? This is a very careless measure."


Another parent in her 30s with elementary school children, Ms. B, said, "With confirmed cases among elementary students and many cases emerging from the delivery logistics center, it's only natural to feel anxious," and added, "I hope the government reconsiders the decision on in-person classes."


"Is School Attendance Suspension Really Not Possible?" Parents Anxious After Elementary Student Confirmed Positive On the morning of the 20th of last month, students were preparing for class at Jeonmin High School in Jeonmin-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon. The students are attending classes at school again after an 80-day delay in the start of the school term due to the impact of the novel coronavirus infection. [Image source=Yonhap News]


The so-called 'dark figure patients,' whose infection routes are difficult to trace, are also increasing parents' anxiety. Among 303 new confirmed cases from May 13 to 28, 7.6% (23 cases) were 'dark figure' patients, exceeding the 'social distancing' threshold of 5%.


Silent transmission by asymptomatic carriers is also a problem. In the Seoul metropolitan area, cases with unclear infection routes are occurring one after another. On the 31st of last month, four confirmed cases were reported at the Yeonana News Class at the Broadcasting Academy in Seodaemun-gu, Seoul.


Infections related to a tutor in Yeouido, Seoul, have increased to 11 cases. The health authorities suspect the tutor's mother, who runs a real estate business, as the likely source of infection, but the exact infection route remains unknown. Regarding the Korea Campus Crusade for Christ (CCC), eight people have tested positive.


As a result, many schools have postponed in-person classes. As of 10 a.m. on the 29th of last month, 830 kindergartens and schools across eight metropolitan cities and provinces nationwide had suspended in-person classes. The highest number of schools were in the Seoul metropolitan area, with 251 in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, where the logistics center is located, and 243 in neighboring Incheon, including 153 in Bupyeong-gu, 89 in Gyeyang-gu, and 1 in Seo-gu.


The Ministry of Education plans to make every effort to strengthen school quarantine measures in the metropolitan area. On the 29th of last month, it announced 'Measures to Minimize School Density in the Metropolitan Area,' aiming to reduce crowding in schools and strengthen quarantine in private academies.


According to the measures, the number of students attending school at one time in the metropolitan area will be limited to two-thirds or less of the total for high schools and one-third or less for other schools.


Additionally, to block community infections originating from private academies, joint inspections of academy quarantine measures will be conducted with metropolitan and provincial education offices and local governments. Academies violating quarantine rules will be subject to correction orders and closure orders if confirmed cases arise.


Academy owners, workers, and users who violate quarantine rules may face fines of up to 3 million KRW under the Infectious Disease Prevention and Control Act.


"Is School Attendance Suspension Really Not Possible?" Parents Anxious After Elementary Student Confirmed Positive Photo by Cheongwadae National Petition Board capture


Despite these measures, anxiety among parents and citizens remains high. A petition titled "Who is the in-person school reopening for?" posted on the Blue House's public petition site on the 21st of last month had garnered 160,620 signatures as of 10:30 a.m. on the 1st.


The petitioner, who identified as a teacher, said, "It's really hard to endure now. Today is the first day of in-person classes for third-year high school students. Do the Minister and Ministry of Education officials know the situation today?" criticizing the government's reopening plan.


They added, "I know you only send out glorified reports to the media," and expressed frustration, saying, "As soon as third-year high school students returned to school today, all teachers felt that 'quarantine is lost. Let's not become number one, two, or three nationwide in confirmed cases.'"


They continued, "During breaks, students take off their masks, hug each other, and cause chaos. Does the school look safe?" and raised their voice, "Some regions are having in-person classes, while others are online. How will this inequality be addressed, and what about university admissions?"


Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education plans to proceed with the reopening schedule as planned. According to the Ministry and the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education on the 31st of last month, first-year high school, second-year middle school, and third- to fourth-grade elementary students will begin attending school on the 3rd of this month. The total number of students is expected to reach 1.78 million.


However, some schools are postponing reopening due to community infections linked to Itaewon and the logistics center, and some students are under self-quarantine or have applied for experiential learning, so the actual number attending school is expected to be lower.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top