Mayor Park Won-soon's 1.177 Million Households Excluding Government-Supported Middle-Income Families to Receive 300,000~500,000 KRW Emergency Disaster Relief... Governor Lee Jae-myung Announces 100,000 KRW Disaster Basic Income per Person for Gyeonggi Residents, Highlighting Leadership Differences and Rising to 3rd Place in Presidential Race... Meanwhile, the Democratic Party Proposes Nationwide Disaster Basic Income, Supporting Lee Jae-myung's Approach
[Asia Economy Reporter Park Jong-il] As the world experiences an unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, the provision of disaster basic income to households struggling with sharp declines in sales and other difficulties is becoming more concrete.
In this context, the difference between Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon and Gyeonggi Province Governor Lee Jae-myung regarding the payment of disaster basic income draws attention.
Mayor Park proposed providing emergency disaster living expenses of 300,000 to 500,000 KRW to 1,177,000 households with median income below 100%, excluding those receiving government support.
In contrast, Governor Lee clearly announced that he would provide 100,000 KRW per Gyeonggi resident in local currency.
Meanwhile, on the 6th, the Democratic Party declared that it would provide disaster basic income to all citizens nationwide, ultimately endorsing Governor Lee Jae-myung's approach.
Mayor Park Won-soon of Seoul, the first metropolitan mayor to do so, announced on the 18th of last month through an online regular briefing that he would provide emergency disaster living expenses of 300,000 to 500,000 KRW to 1,177,000 households with median income below 100%, excluding those receiving government support.
The city estimates that 327.1 billion KRW in budget will be required for this.
Thus, the emergency disaster living expenses began to be paid starting from the 6th.
Regarding the COVID-19 situation, Mayor Park said, "Unprecedented emergency situations require unprecedented emergency measures and unprecedented budget input," strongly criticizing the government's passive supplementary budget.
He also pointed out that "this (central government’s) supplementary budget is clearly wrong," noting that the supplementary budget related to COVID-19 did not include disaster basic income-type support requested by several local governments.
However, since Seoul provides disaster basic income to 1,177,000 households with median income below 100%, excluding those receiving government support, it is known that the city had considerable difficulty in the selection process.
Meanwhile, Governor Lee Jae-myung of Gyeonggi Province held a press conference on the 1st and announced that he would provide 100,000 KRW per Gyeonggi resident as disaster basic income.
Gyeonggi Province will provide the 'disaster basic income' starting from the 9th through local currency as well as credit cards and prepaid cards.
The initial recipients are all Gyeonggi residents registered as of midnight on March 23 of this year and still registered at the time of application.
Those receiving it via local currency or credit card can verify their residency on the 'Gyeonggi Disaster Basic Income Homepage' from the 9th to the 30th of this month and enter their local currency card or credit card information.
On the same day, Gyeonggi Province signed a business agreement related to the payment of 'Gyeonggi Disaster Basic Income' with 31 local governments in the province, 13 financial institutions, and Kona I, the operator of the Gyeonggi local currency system.
A Seoul district official said, "I saw the staff in charge working until 11 or 12 at night," adding, "If it had been given equally like in Gyeonggi Province, they wouldn't have had to go through such hardship."
Another Seoul city official said, "Regarding the Democratic Party's decision on the 6th to recommend the government provide the same amount of disaster basic income to all citizens, it turned out that Governor Lee Jae-myung's method was correct rather than Mayor Park Won-soon's."
Meanwhile, Governor Lee Jae-myung demonstrated his presence by gaining unexpected support, ranking third among presidential candidates with a 13% approval rating, following former Prime Minister Lee Nak-yeon and former Liberty Korea Party leader Hwang Kyo-ahn, based on his bold response to Shincheonji Gwacheon Church and others during the COVID-19 crisis.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


![Clutching a Stolen Dior Bag, Saying "I Hate Being Poor but Real"... The Grotesque Con of a "Human Knockoff" [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
