본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Global Countries and Regions Issue 'Special Travel Advisory'... Overseas Travel Cancellations and Postponements Recommended (Comprehensive)

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Issues One-Month Travel Advisory Until April 23... Measures Equivalent to Level 2-3 Travel Warnings
Significant Increase in Entry Ban Countries and Overseas Influx of Patients Considered
Italian Overseas Koreans to Return Next Week via Government-Arranged Temporary Flights
Korean Travelers Stranded in Peru to Return This Week

Global Countries and Regions Issue 'Special Travel Advisory'... Overseas Travel Cancellations and Postponements Recommended (Comprehensive) [Image source=Yonhap News]


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a special travel advisory for countries and regions worldwide for one month until the 23rd of next month, recommending the cancellation or postponement of overseas travel. The special travel advisory is a measure equivalent to travel alert level 2 (travel restraint) and level 3 (evacuation recommendation).


On the 23rd, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that, according to the travel alert system, a special travel advisory will be applied for one month to countries and regions under travel alert levels 1 and 2. The special travel advisory is issued for urgent short-term risks and is valid for up to 90 days. During this period, the effectiveness of existing travel alerts will be temporarily suspended.


This special travel advisory follows the travel advisory announced on the 28th of last month and is a measure to prevent citizens from overseas infection and isolation or quarantine during overseas travel amid the recent ▲World Health Organization (WHO) pandemic declaration and rapid global spread of COVID-19 ▲significant expansion of countries banning entry worldwide ▲increase in imported cases ▲and the widespread suspension of flights.


A senior official from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said to reporters on the day, “Except for areas where travel alerts levels 3 and 4 have already been issued, a special travel advisory is issued from today,” adding, “It is equivalent to travel alert levels 2 and 3, recommending cancellation or postponement of travel and urging special attention to personal safety while staying abroad.” The government-operated travel alert system consists of four levels: navy blue alert (travel caution), yellow alert (travel restraint), red alert (evacuation recommendation), and black alert (travel ban).


The 'special travel advisory' is a temporary measure in response to the high-level entry restrictions such as entry bans implemented worldwide. Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun previously recommended canceling or postponing overseas travel along with social distancing. The senior official said, “As countries worldwide suddenly close borders, airports, and suspend flights, citizens staying abroad are facing great difficulties returning home,” and added, “Since flights are not operating normally worldwide, it is advisable to avoid overseas travel as much as possible, meaning cancellation or postponement is recommended.”


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs previously issued a level 2 travel alert (travel restraint) on the 16th for 16 countries in Western and Central Europe, and on the 18th issued a level 1 travel alert (travel caution) for all countries where no travel alert had been issued. The level 3 travel alert (evacuation recommendation) remains in effect for the entire Hubei Province in China.


Global Countries and Regions Issue 'Special Travel Advisory'... Overseas Travel Cancellations and Postponements Recommended (Comprehensive) [Image source=Yonhap News]


About 650 Korean nationals in Italy are scheduled to return home next week via a government-arranged charter flight. Approximately 200 Korean travelers stranded in Peru are expected to return on the 26th. In Italy, negotiations have been ongoing with the Korean community and national airlines, but a final flight contract has not been reached.


According to the Korean Embassy in Peru, an AeroMexico temporary flight from Lima, the capital of Peru, to Incheon has been arranged on the 26th (local time) to transport about 200 Koreans, including travelers and KOICA volunteers. Although the government arranged this temporary flight, passengers are responsible for the costs.


The senior official explained, “The temporary flight to Italy is being planned for next week, and the one to Peru is being pursued for this week if possible.” It is reported that Koreans returning from Peru include travelers and KOICA members. The Peruvian government declared a national emergency on the 15th and blocked all foreign entries and exits starting from the 17th due to the spread of COVID-19.


Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans to conduct thorough checks of crisis response manuals and other measures at diplomatic missions where medical systems and testing capabilities vary significantly by region. The senior official said, “While some regions are severely affected by infections, many lack adequate medical systems,” adding, “We have already sent the response manuals to the missions, but we will check whether the response systems have been properly established and whether the manuals are appropriate for the current situation.”


Global Countries and Regions Issue 'Special Travel Advisory'... Overseas Travel Cancellations and Postponements Recommended (Comprehensive) [Image source=Yonhap News]


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top