Seoul Yeongdeungpo-gu "Spring Flower Festival Fully Canceled After 16 Years"
Some Citizens Report Depression and Lethargy
Experts "Please Participate in Social Distancing Campaign for the Time Being"
On the afternoon of April 7 last year, citizens are enjoying spring at Yeouido Yunjungno in Seoul, where cherry blossoms are in bloom. Photo by Yonhap News
[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Suwan] Conflicts have arisen surrounding the cancellation of the Yeouido Spring Flower Festival due to the impact of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). While some express regret that the spring festival has disappeared, others argue that 'social distancing' must be practiced to prevent COVID-19 infection. Citizens advocating for holding the festival are complaining of depression and helplessness from staying at home for extended periods due to COVID-19.
On the 10th, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, announced that it had decided to fully cancel the '2020 Yeongdeungpo Yeouido Spring Flower Festival (Spring Flower Festival),' which was scheduled to be held in early April, to protect the lives and safety of residents and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The Spring Flower Festival, which began in 2005, is the district's representative festival now in its 16th year and attracts many foreign tourists. In particular, last year, a total of 5.2 million visitors attended.
Earlier, the 'Jinhae Gunhangje,' one of Korea's representative cherry blossom festivals held in Changwon, Gyeongnam, was also canceled. Additionally, most spring festivals nationwide, including the Hadong-gun Hwagae Market Cherry Blossom Festival in Gyeongnam and the Boseong Cherry Blossom Festival in Jeonnam, joined the cancellation trend.
Upon hearing the news, some welcomed the cancellation of the festival. Office worker A (27) said, "I attended many festivals last spring, but I think festivals should not be held at this time," adding, "If the festival is forced to proceed, many people will gather, and naturally, the risk of infection will increase."
Another office worker B also said, "I plan to stay home for everyone's safety," and added, "Even if the festival is canceled, the flowers will bloom, so I don't think it's necessary to go to crowded places."
Those advocating for the cancellation of the festival argue that since COVID-19 can be transmitted through droplets, crowded places should be avoided. Photo by Yonhap News
On the other hand, negative reactions such as "I feel like I will get depression if I stay home every day" and "Isn't it okay if personal hygiene is thoroughly maintained?" have also emerged.
Housewife C in her 40s said, "I understand that we need to prevent the spread of local infections," but added, "However, isn't the cherry blossom festival literally about flower viewing? It's not like everyone is in a confined space, and if participants wear masks, it seems okay, so the cancellation seems excessive."
She continued, "Rather than a full cancellation to prevent the spread, I think we should seek ways to proceed while following personal hygiene rules," adding, "If everything is canceled like this, citizens will just stay home feeling lethargic and depressed, and the local economy will collapse."
Meanwhile, some argue that people should participate in the government's recommended 'social distancing' and 'pause' campaigns. For festivals where many gather, there is concern that even with thorough personal hygiene, visitors using public restrooms and restaurants could spread the infection.
Experts have urged participation in the social distancing campaign for the time being. Professor Choi Jaewook of the Department of Preventive Medicine at Korea University appeared on CBS Radio's 'Sisa Jaki Jung Gwanyong Imnida' on the 10th and emphasized, "Now, the risk of transmission through aerosols in the same space beyond close contact is high, so extraordinary measures are necessary."
The government also recommended postponing or canceling events where many people gather to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
Kim Kanglip, the first chief coordinator of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, said at a regular briefing held at the Government Sejong Complex on the 26th of last month, "We recommend postponing or canceling events held in confined and crowded spaces, outdoor events where close contact and droplet transmission are possible, and events targeting many vulnerable groups."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

