Man in His 70s Outraged at Yangsan Pusan National University Hospital
Underwent Surgery After Cancer Diagnosis... Pathology Shows "Chronic Cholecystitis"
A man in his 70s who went to a hospital for gallstone treatment was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer and underwent surgery to remove his gallbladder and part of his liver, but a post-operative tissue examination later confirmed that it was not cancer, sparking controversy.
On February 19, Yonhap News reported the case of A (76), who visited Yangsan Pusan National University Hospital in early September last year. A had previously been diagnosed with gallstones at a hospital in Gimhae, South Gyeongsang Province, and then went to the university hospital for a more detailed examination.
According to A, the hospital’s medical staff explained, based on the results of a computed tomography (CT) scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), that "inflammation was found and gallbladder cancer is suspected." After additional tests, they then notified him that it was a "confirmed case of gallbladder cancer."
Subsequently, on December 2 of the same year, A underwent an "extended cholecystectomy," in which the gallbladder and part of the liver were removed together. However, the final pathology report, delivered one week after the surgery, showed not cancer but "chronic cholecystitis." It was also reported that the final diagnosis on the surgical report was recorded as chronic cholecystitis.
A argues that he decided to undergo surgery because the medical staff gave a definitive explanation that it was "cancer," not merely "suspected cancer," and he is holding the hospital responsible. He said, "After the surgery, I am short of breath and my physical condition is not what it used to be. Why do I have to bear the consequences of the doctor’s mistake alone?" He added, "The hospital is not only refusing to apologize for the misdiagnosis but is also evading responsibility."
The process of obtaining consent for organ donation prior to surgery has also become an issue. A stated that he signed a donation pledge for research purposes in accordance with the medical staff’s explanation, and that the removed organs have been donated to the hospital. He said, "I agreed to donate because they said it would help research, but if I had known it was not cancer, I would not have consented."
A plans to soon file for mediation with the Korea Medical Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Agency and is considering submitting a criminal complaint to the prosecution. In response, Yangsan Pusan National University Hospital told Yonhap News, "If the procedures at the Korea Medical Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Agency move forward, we will take appropriate measures based on the outcome."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

![From Bar Hostess to Organ Seller to High Society... The Grotesque Con of a "Human Counterfeit" [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
