본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Prime Minister Takaichi Moves Into 'Haunted Residence,' Says "No Ghosts Yet"

Takaichi Moves from House of Representatives Dormitory to Official Residence
Rumors of Ghost Sightings Persist Alongside Historical Incidents

As rumors about ghost sightings at the official residence of the Japanese Prime Minister resurfaced, Sanae Takaichi, the recently relocated Prime Minister of Japan, directly addressed the related rumors.


On December 31, Prime Minister Takaichi wrote on her social networking service (SNS), "I finished moving in the day before yesterday and welcomed the New Year's Eve at the official residence next to the Prime Minister's office," adding, "I have not yet encountered the legendary ghost."


In Japan, the Prime Minister's workspace is referred to as the "Kantei," while the government-provided living quarters are called the "official residence" (Kokan). Since taking office in October last year, Prime Minister Takaichi had been commuting from the House of Representatives dormitory, about 400 meters away from the Kantei, for roughly two months.


Prime Minister Takaichi Moves Into 'Haunted Residence,' Says "No Ghosts Yet" Sanae Takaichi, Prime Minister of Japan. Yonhap News Agency

When a magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck off the coast of Aomori Prefecture recently, it took Prime Minister Takaichi 35 minutes to arrive at the Kantei. This prompted criticism, mainly from opposition parties, that she should immediately move into the official residence. Ultimately, Prime Minister Takaichi moved into the official residence on December 29, during the year-end and New Year holidays.


The current official residence is a renovated building originally constructed in 1929 as the former Prime Minister's office, and it has served as the official living quarters since 2005. However, it has often been avoided by previous prime ministers. Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe commuted from his home in Shibuya, Tokyo, stating he wanted to separate his personal life from work, while former Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga also stayed at the parliamentary dormitory. As a result, the official residence remained vacant for extended periods, leading to criticism of budget waste.


The reluctance to reside in the official residence has been attributed to both historical events and persistent rumors of ghost sightings. The location was the site where Prime Minister Tsuyoshi Inukai was assassinated during the May 15 Incident in 1932, and it was also targeted in the February 26 Incident, a military coup, in 1936. Stories of prime ministers who moved into the residence experiencing short tenures or unfortunate endings further fueled rumors that the residence is ill-fated.


Former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori once mentioned hearing the doorknob move at night during his tenure, and the wife of former Prime Minister Tsutomu Hata wrote in her memoir that she felt a strange presence and saw a ghost in military uniform at the residence. Former Prime Minister Abe also added, "I heard stories from former Prime Minister Mori about seeing ghosts at the residence."


In contrast, recent prime ministers have responded more calmly. Former Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, who moved into the official residence in 2021, said, "I haven't seen any ghosts yet. I slept well." Former Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba also remarked, "I'm from the 'Obake no Q-Taro' generation, so I'm not particularly scared."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top