본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Leg Injury Reported, But Why Cardiac Arrest?" Plea from Hongcheon Private's Mother

Fell to Death During Training in Hongcheon Last Month

Last month, the parents of an Army private who died after rolling down a mountain during training in the mountainous area of Hongcheon, Gangwon Province, appealed for a thorough investigation and punishment of those responsible.


On the 3rd, a post titled "Please uncover the unjust death of the Hongcheon communication soldier" was uploaded on the 'Soldier Son Parents Cafe (Gunhwamo)'. The writer, A, who introduced herself as the mother of the deceased Private Kim, pleaded, "Please pay attention so that my son's death can be properly revealed, and let me know if there is anything I can do." She added, "Please help so that the truth can be clearly revealed and just punishment can be carried out."


"Leg Injury Reported, But Why Cardiac Arrest?" Plea from Hongcheon Private's Mother An appeal posted by the mother of Private Kim Mo (20). Screenshot from the relevant cafe.

A summarized the situation she heard from the military investigation authorities in chronological order and made it public. In the full appeal shared by the cafe titled ‘Appeal regarding the death of Private Kim during training at Amisan, Hongcheon,’ A, the mother of Private Kim, stated, “My 22-year-old son Kim ○○ enlisted in Nonsan this February and was assigned to the 53rd Artillery Battalion of the 20th Mechanized Brigade in Hongcheon, where he was serving.” According to this, on the morning of the 25th of last month at 8 a.m., Private Kim heard a broadcast calling three radio operators and loaded communication equipment into a vehicle, heading to Amisan, the training site, with a sergeant, a corporal, a driver, and a corporal (sangbyeong), totaling four people.


Upon arrival at the site, the sergeant said, “There is something to check in the vehicle,” and only sent the soldiers up the mountain. The accompanying driver carried 12 kg of equipment up the mountain instead of the sergeant. The corporal, the sangbyeong, and Private Kim also carried 12 kg, 14.5 kg, and 25.16 kg of equipment respectively up the mountain, but midway, the driver said he had “sprained his leg” and handed his load to Private Kim.


Later, around 1:36 p.m., when Private Kim was no longer visible while going up and down the mountain, the group began searching for him. They heard his cries of “Help me” and found him nearby after a search at around 2:29 p.m. Then, 26 minutes later, at 2:56 p.m., the battery commander ordered a 119 rescue call for Private Kim.


A said, “Around 4:56 p.m. on November 25, I received a call from the military. They said my son had rolled and injured his leg during training, lost consciousness briefly because he was carrying a radio.” She added, “Later, I heard from the military that the destination was changed to Wonju Severance Christian Hospital, and while heading to Gangwon Province, I received a call from the battalion commander saying, ‘Private Kim is in cardiac arrest. I am sorry.’”


She also claimed, "After finding my child, I spent 26 minutes on the phone with the military platoon leader and sergeant, but they abandoned him. Even though they knew the terrain was rough and ground rescue was impossible, the medical military comprehensive center was notified an hour later."


"Leg Injury Reported, But Why Cardiac Arrest?" Plea from Hongcheon Private's Mother Image related to military base accident. Photo by Yonhap News

She expressed outrage, saying, "The military police arrived 1 hour and 52 minutes after the report but failed to take off with my child and returned. They requested a fire department helicopter again and while waiting, cardiac arrest occurred. CPR was performed for 26 minutes, but ultimately, he could not be saved and was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital in cardiac arrest."


She added, "It is unbearable to accept that my child was led to death due to confusion and failure to make accurate decisions. I cannot accept that I will never see my son again, who said he would be fine and told me not to worry because he was healthy."


Meanwhile, regarding this incident, the 3rd Army Corps stated, “We pray for the repose of the deceased who lost his life while fulfilling his sacred military duty and extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved family.” They added, “Currently, the military and investigative agencies are thoroughly investigating the cause and circumstances of the accident, including the evacuation process, and are maintaining close communication with the family.” They continued, “The military will provide the highest honors for the deceased according to the family’s wishes and will do its best to support the family.”


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top