본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Petition "Colonel Park Jeong-hoon is Innocent" Gains 15,000 Signatures in Less Than a Day

3-Year Prison Sentence Proposed by Military Prosecutors the Day Before
Petition for Acquittal Signatures Expected to Continue Until January 3
Verdict Date to Determine Guilt or Innocence Set for January 9 Next Year

The number of participants signing a petition for the acquittal of former Marine Corps Investigation Unit Commander Colonel Park Jeong-hoon, who was indicted by military prosecutors with a three-year prison sentence for allegedly violating orders to withhold the transfer of the "Corporal Chae's line-of-duty death case," exceeded 15,000 in less than a day since the petition began. On the morning of the 22nd, the Military Human Rights Center announced, "The number of participants in the petition for Colonel Park's acquittal surpassed 15,000 in less than a day since it started."

Petition "Colonel Park Jeong-hoon is Innocent" Gains 15,000 Signatures in Less Than a Day Former Marine Corps Investigation Unit Chief Park Jeong-hoon, who was indicted on charges of insubordination and defamation of a superior officer in connection with the investigation of the death of Marine Corporal Chae, is attending the sentencing trial held at the Central Military Court in Yongsan-gu, Seoul, on the afternoon of the 21st, along with politicians including Rep. Chu Mi-ae of the Democratic Party of Korea and Jo Guk, leader of the Jo Guk Innovation Party. Photo by Yonhap News

The day before, during the sentencing hearing, military prosecutors requested the court to impose the maximum sentence of three years in prison for insubordination on Colonel Park, stating, "The defendant undermined the military command system and negatively affected military discipline, warranting severe punishment." The Military Human Rights Center launched the petition for acquittal immediately after the sentencing hearing for Colonel Park's charges of insubordination and defamation of a superior, held at the Central Regional Military Court.


In his final statement, Colonel Park said, "The president's anger that I heard from (Marine Corps) Commander Kim Gye-hwan is true. The Minister of National Defense made a phone call to 7070 (the president's office extension), and everything became a mess." Addressing the presiding judge, he said, "Please say that one should not obey illegal orders. I hope my promise to Corporal Chae, that 'there will be no injustice left in your death,' can be fulfilled."


Previously, Colonel Park, who investigated Corporal Chae's line-of-duty death case, reported on July 30 last year to then-Minister of National Defense Lee Jong-seop that eight individuals, including Marine Corps 1st Division Commander Im Seong-geun, were identified as suspects of professional negligence causing death or injury, and that the case would be transferred to the police. Minister Lee approved this but instructed the suspension of the transfer the following day. However, Colonel Park violated this order and transferred the case to the police on August 2.


The military prosecutors indicted Colonel Park on charges of insubordination. During this process, the so-called "(VIP) anger theory" surfaced, claiming that President Yoon Seok-yeol was furious upon hearing about the transfer. The "VIP anger theory" alleges that President Yoon reprimanded former Minister of National Defense Lee Jong-seop over the investigation results by the Marine Corps Investigation Unit related to the Marine's death accident, leading Minister Lee to approve the investigation report but then instruct the suspension of the police transfer following the president's reprimand.


Meanwhile, the military court has summoned and questioned witnesses, including former Minister Lee, Commander Kim, and personnel from the Ministry of National Defense, Marine Corps, and the presidential office involved at the time of the incident, through nine hearings so far. The military court is expected to deliver a verdict on Colonel Park as early as next month. The petition for acquittal will continue for six weeks until midnight on January 3 next year. The verdict date to determine guilt or innocence is January 9 next year. The Military Human Rights Center stated, "The public's anger toward the military prosecutors, who colluded with investigative pressure and sought the maximum sentence of three years in prison for insubordination, is palpable," adding, "We will intensify the petition campaign to ensure Colonel Park's promise can be fulfilled."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top