본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"My Daughter's Birthday Is Coming Soon..." Mother Who Lost Daughter to Dating Violence Tearfully Pleads for Severe Punishment for Perpetrator

"The words 'I can live, right, Mom?' that my daughter asked me keep echoing in my mind."


The mother of a daughter who died after being assaulted by her ex-boyfriend and receiving medical treatment wept in court, urging for the perpetrator to receive the maximum punishment.


The 1st Criminal Division of the Tongyeong Branch of the Changwon District Court in Gyeongnam (Presiding Judge Kim Youngseok) held a trial on the afternoon of the 14th for a man in his 20s, Mr. A, who was indicted on charges including injury resulting in death, trespassing, and excessive approach behavior (stalking).


"My Daughter's Birthday Is Coming Soon..." Mother Who Lost Daughter to Dating Violence Tearfully Pleads for Severe Punishment for Perpetrator The parents of the victim in the so-called 'Geoje Dating Violence Death Case' are urging severe punishment for the perpetrator in front of the Tongyeong Branch of Changwon District Court, Gyeongnam.
[Photo by Lee Seryeong]

On this day, the court questioned the mother of the victim, Ms. B, also in her 20s, to guarantee the right of statement for victims under the Criminal Procedure Act.


Ms. B's mother began her statement by saying, "Today is the tomorrow my daughter so desperately wanted to live for."


She continued, "November 5 is my daughter's birthday," and "There was never a day I didn't love her, and there were so many things I wanted to do with her."


"I wanted to see her graduate from college, go to work, get married, and have grandchildren. I wanted to share all the precious and happy moments with her," she said.


"But my daughter left this world with a swollen face and a body full of bruises, unable to even close her eyes after being beaten by the defendant. The last words she asked me, 'I can live, right, Mom?' never leave my mind," she said, breaking down in tears.


She continued, "The defendant, despite having experienced multiple times that his violence could kill someone, broke into my daughter's apartment and, following his usual violent habits, mercilessly struck her head, causing her to die of cerebral hemorrhage."


"He had been reported to the police nine times for assault in the past, but because he was not punished, he now shamelessly lies in court after committing murder and treats the court with contempt," she added.


Ms. B's mother said, "The defendant still claims that he hit my daughter because she did something wrong," and "Even after the murder, he watched dramas as if nothing happened and told his friend that he was in a bad mood even though it wasn't his fault."


"How could someone like him ever reflect on his actions?" she asked. "My daughter can never come back, but seeing the defendant submit a letter of reflection just to get a reduced sentence breaks my heart as a parent," she said, holding back tears.


The mother pleaded, "There must be no leniency for the defendant, and I earnestly ask for the strictest punishment," and "Please let the defendant know that the judiciary is fair and that those who commit crimes must receive appropriate punishment."


"My Daughter's Birthday Is Coming Soon..." Mother Who Lost Daughter to Dating Violence Tearfully Pleads for Severe Punishment for Perpetrator The parents of the victim in the Geoje ex-girlfriend assault death case are going to the Tongyeong Branch of Changwon District Court in Gyeongnam to submit a petition urging strict punishment for the perpetrator.
[Photo by Lee Seryeong]

According to the court, the defendant, Mr. A, in the so-called 'Geoje Dating Violence Death Case,' is accused of breaking into the apartment of his ex-girlfriend, Ms. B, in her 20s, on April 1, climbing on top of her as she slept, beating her head and face, strangling her, and assaulting her to death.


Due to Mr. A's assault, Ms. B suffered severe injuries including traumatic subdural hemorrhage, requiring six weeks of recovery, and died after ten days in the hospital from multiple organ failure caused by sepsis.


It was found that Mr. A had repeatedly used violence against Ms. B, such as slapping her face, several times since they began dating as high school classmates in April 2022.


Even after breaking up with Ms. B just before the incident, Mr. A called her 14 times, and when she did not answer, he visited her residence, engaging in excessive approach behavior (stalking).


The prosecution determined, based on the autopsy results from the National Forensic Service and the attending physician's medical opinion, that the victim died from systemic inflammatory response syndrome caused by head trauma, establishing a causal relationship between the assault and her death.


The court was scheduled to hold a sentencing hearing that day, including the prosecutor's sentencing recommendation, final statements, and arguments, but postponed it as the hospital's response to a fact inquiry requested by Mr. A's side had not yet arrived.


Previously, the court stated, "We have received a response to the fact inquiry from the National Forensic Service, but not yet from the hospital," and asked Mr. A's side, "If it is possible to express an opinion with just the National Forensic Service's response, can you withdraw the hospital inquiry, or do you insist on waiting?"


Mr. A's defense attorney replied, "The defendant feels burdened by attending court," and "We will proceed with sentencing, but if we receive the hospital's response by the sentencing date, we will submit an additional opinion or respond to any meaningful matters."


In response, Ms. B's mother stated, "The defendant says it's hard for him to come to court, but that's not right. If you do something wrong, it's only right to stand trial."


"It is also extremely painful and difficult for me to come to court. Every day feels like hell, and I miss my daughter so much," she added.


Mr. A's detention period expires on November 29, and the sentencing hearing for this case will be held at 1:40 p.m. on the 24th.


If the hospital's response does not arrive by the next hearing, the court plans to withdraw the fact inquiry request and conclude the trial.




© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top