Prosecutors "Reviewing Indictment Changes"
Victims' Parents Appeal for Maximum Sentence
As the appellate court sentencing for a man in his 20s who brutally assaulted a female middle school classmate, leaving her in a vegetative state, approaches, the prosecution is considering amending the indictment to seek a harsher punishment. The man, who was sentenced to six years in prison in the first trial, is reported to have boasted to those around him that "serving only one to two years is enough."
On the 11th, during the appellate trial for A (20) on charges of serious injury held by the 1st Criminal Division of the Jeonju Branch of the Gwangju High Court (Presiding Judge Yang Jin-su), the prosecution stated, "We are reviewing the legal aspects following the victim's counsel's opinion regarding the amendment of the indictment." The victim's counsel had previously submitted an opinion to the court requesting that the defendant's charges be changed from serious injury to either 'attempted murder' or 'habitual special serious injury' to impose a heavier sentence.
The appellate court had planned to deliver a verdict for A on that day but accepted the prosecution's request to resume arguments and proceeded with witness examination.
The victim B (20)'s mother, testifying from the witness stand, said, "It should have been my daughter here, not me, but my daughter remains unconscious, lying in a vegetative state with paralysis of all four limbs." She choked up, saying, "It feels like she could wake up at any moment, call out 'Mom,' and run to me, but no matter how much I pray, she does not move." She broke down, adding, "If something happens to my daughter, that defendant will become a murderer and receive a heavier sentence, but even if I die now, I want to hold and see my daughter for just one more day."
After the mother finished speaking, the court asked, "Does the victim's father have anything to say?" B's father stood up and said with reddened eyes, "After 20 years, my daughter is wearing diapers again, and I have nightmares every day about when her breath will finally stop as I hold daily funerals." He appealed, "No matter how much money is offered, I cannot forgive the defendant. No matter how severe the sentence the defendant receives, it will be easier for him than for parents watching their terminally ill daughter. Ten years is not enough, so please impose the maximum sentence."
The victim's counsel pointed out in court, "The defendant had an opportunity to apologize and seek forgiveness from the victim for one year and three months before being detained during the first trial, but he did not apologize even once to the victim's parents before the sentencing recommendation." They also claimed, "He boasted to those around him, saying 'I only need to serve one to two years,' and 'My father will hire a lawyer to help me.' His attitude angered even his friends, who submitted petitions to the court requesting a severe punishment."
They added, "If the defendant's attitude changed after being detained compared to when he was out on bail, the court should not consider 'showing remorse,' which is a mitigating factor for sentencing." After the trial, the victim's counsel who left the courtroom also revealed, "The defendant, who never apologized even once, only proposed a settlement to the victim after receiving a heavy sentence and being detained."
On February 6 last year, A, along with several middle school classmates, traveled to Busan. At a lodging facility, he assaulted and threw B, a classmate, causing injuries. B, who suffered severe neck injuries from the assault, is currently reported to be in a brain-dead state and undergoing treatment.
The first trial court sentenced A to six years in prison, but both the prosecution and A appealed, citing reasons such as inappropriate sentencing. The next trial is scheduled for October 16.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


