Porsche speeds 159 km/h causing death of teenager
Bereaved family: "If our daughter were alive, she could endure even hell"
Former Jeonbuk Police Chief Choi Jong-moon expressed partial agreement with criticisms that police officers who failed to conduct timely breathalyzer tests during the so-called 'Porsche Drunk Driving Death Incident' received lenient disciplinary actions.
At his first press briefing since taking office on the 3rd at the Jeonbuk Police Agency press room, Chief Choi said, "Since the disciplinary actions were completed during the previous chief's tenure, I do not think it is a matter I can comment on separately," but added, "There is an external perception that the disciplinary measures were too light, and I partially agree with that."
He continued, "If the team leader had gone to the scene and properly directed the situation, (the breathalyzer test would have been conducted on time), which is a regrettable aspect," and said, "I feel sorry and saddened for the victim and the victim's family."
The 36th Chief of Jeonbuk Police Agency is speaking at a press conference on the 16th of last month. [Image source=Yonhap News]
The accident occurred on June 27 on a road in Jeonju, Jeonbuk, when Mr. A (50) driving a Porsche at 159 km/h collided with a Spark vehicle carrying Ms. B (19), who was returning home after driving practice, and her friend. The speed limit on the road at the time was 50 km/h.
Ms. B, who had just reached the legal driving age, died instantly from the impact, and her peer sitting in the passenger seat was seriously injured and has not regained consciousness to this day.
The police who arrived at the scene transported Mr. A to the hospital after he complained of pain. During this process, no identification or breathalyzer test was conducted. Ultimately, the breathalyzer test for Mr. A was performed more than two hours after the accident occurred.
On June 27, in Yeoui-dong, Deokjin-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do, a Spark vehicle collided with a Porsche drunk-driving vehicle at the Honam Jeilmun intersection, causing the Spark to overturn. The 119 emergency medical team is transporting the patients. [Image provided by Jeonbuk Fire Headquarters]
Additionally, after being discharged, Mr. A stopped by a convenience store and drank alcohol twice, employing the so-called 'drinking while driving' method. As a result, due to the police officers' initial negligence and delayed breathalyzer testing, Mr. A is currently on trial with only the minimum blood alcohol concentration of 0.036% applied based on the Widmark formula. The prosecution has demanded the maximum legal sentence of 7 years and 6 months imprisonment for Mr. A.
During police questioning, Mr. A reportedly said that he drank after the accident because "he did not know the other driver had died" and "he was upset because his cherished vehicle was damaged and the accident happened."
Subsequently, the Jeonbuk Police Agency imposed a light disciplinary penalty of a one-month salary reduction on the former Yeoui Police Substation team leader for breach of duty, and issued administrative warnings to three team members, but these actions were criticized as 'protecting their own.'
The mother of the deceased Ms. B said at a trial held on the 26th of last month, "If only my daughter could come back, I would jump into hell. Even now, knowing my child has passed away... whenever I see the car she was in, my heart aches and I can hardly breathe. I really cannot forgive the defendant."
Ms. B's aunt also criticized, "Due to the police's improper response, the defendant is trying to reduce his sentence. The police officer only received a one-month salary reduction."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

