Another Accident During Traffic Jam Caused by 11-Car Pileup
Wife Dies Holding Daughter Tight
Perpetrator Neglected Front View While Manipulating Driving Functions
Last summer, the story of the bereaved family of a victim involved in an accident on the Jungbu Expressway came to light.
Recently, JTBC's 'Sageon Banjang' (Case Chief) reported on a traffic accident that had not been covered by the media at the time. On July 28 last year, an 11-vehicle pileup occurred on the Jungbu Expressway. As traffic congestion continued, another accident happened. A woman with three children died in this subsequent accident.
At the time, the victim was seated in the back seat of a compact car driven by an acquaintance, along with her youngest daughter. The vehicle was moving slowly due to the aftermath of the earlier collision ahead, when a following car crashed into it. The driver of the offending vehicle was reportedly distracted while operating the 'cruise control' function. The rear seat of the victim’s car was crushed to the extent that only about 8cm of width remained, and the victim was found clutching her youngest daughter with her body crushed. When paramedics rescued the daughter, the victim finally closed her eyes.
The victim’s husband told 'Sageon Banjang', "Because the traffic jam was so severe, it took 1 hour and 20 minutes to be rescued, and my wife was holding our youngest daughter until then." He added, "Later, when I asked my daughter, she said my wife was looking at her with her eyes barely open." He continued, "According to the paramedics, she was still alive until then, and after they took the child out first, my wife passed away."
While the husband was devastated by the loss of his wife, the perpetrator reportedly pleaded for leniency. The victim’s husband expressed outrage, saying, "The perpetrator’s lawyer asked the judge to consider the Buddhist memorial service held for the deceased, but I don’t understand how someone who doesn’t even know my wife’s personal information can claim to have held such a service."
Currently, it has been confirmed that the perpetrator has not reached a settlement with the victim’s family and has deposited a bond of 50 million won. The prosecution has demanded a prison sentence of 1 year and 6 months for the perpetrator on charges of violating the Special Act on Traffic Accident Handling (causing death). The victim’s husband lamented, "I feel so sorry that my children have to live their lives without their mother. The thought of raising three children alone is unbearably painful and overwhelming."
Netizens who heard the story responded with comments such as, "How many thoughts must she have had as she closed her eyes leaving her young daughter behind," "Is a prison sentence appropriate when a person has died?" and "My heart aches so much."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


