본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Did You Die Saving the Country?"... Prosecutors Seek Fine for Changwon City Councilor Kim Mina Over Itaewon 'Rude Remark' Charge

Kim Mina, a member of the Changwon Special City Council in Gyeongnam, who was indicted on charges of insulting the bereaved families of the Itaewon disaster and members of the Cargo Truckers Solidarity, bowed her head and said, "I'm sorry," during her appeal trial.


The 1st Criminal Division of the Changwon Panel of the Busan High Court (Presiding Judge Lee Jooyeon, Judges Kwak Richan and Seok Dongwoo) held the first appeal hearing on the afternoon of the 22nd regarding Kim's charge of insult.


The prosecution, which appealed on the grounds of an unfair sentence, requested the court to impose a fine of 3 million won on Kim, the same as the first trial, instead of the three-month suspended sentence previously given.


The prosecution stated, "Kim made several malicious remarks expressing contempt towards the bereaved families of the Itaewon disaster and the Cargo Truckers Solidarity, and posted an insulting message about the bereaved families less than a month after the Itaewon disaster occurred."


They added, "The psychological pain and sense of loss suffered by the victims are beyond words. Despite holding public office as a city council member, Kim made contemptuous remarks unrelated to criticism of current social issues on social networking services (SNS), which is a serious offense."


"From the investigation stage to the first trial and this appeal, Kim has not sincerely sought forgiveness from the victims or made any effort toward recovery," the prosecution added.


"Did You Die Saving the Country?"... Prosecutors Seek Fine for Changwon City Councilor Kim Mina Over Itaewon 'Rude Remark' Charge Gim Mina, a council member of Changwon City, Gyeongnam Province, is answering questions from reporters as she leaves the legal district.
[Photo by Lee Seryeong]

Kim's attorney argued, "Kim is reflecting on her actions, looking back on her words and behavior since the incident, and is now working diligently in her legislative duties. If an appropriate amount of compensation is determined in the civil lawsuit, she plans to pay damages to the victims."


Kim stood up and said, "I am deeply remorseful and will be more careful with my words and actions in the future. I am sorry."


Previously, Kim was accused of posting derogatory comments about the Itaewon disaster and disparaging remarks about members of the Cargo Truckers Solidarity on her social networking service (SNS) in December 2022.


Regarding the Itaewon disaster in November of that year, she wrote, "The bereaved families are killing the souls who went to heaven at such a young age for a second time," "People say they are making a business out of their children," "Did they die saving the country?" "How long will those in the Democratic Party milk the yellow ribbon for, now moving on to black ribbons?" and "Body-selling tribes."


She is also accused of posting comments about the Cargo Truckers Solidarity such as, "Reckless fools who dare to defy the country," and "Looking like beggars."


After the trial ended, Kim left the courtroom making a hand gesture with her index and ring fingers extended. When asked by reporters, "Who did you apologize to?" she replied, "Is a subject necessary?" before leaving.


The court decided to conclude all arguments on this day. The sentencing hearing for Kim's appeal is scheduled to be held in the same courtroom at 2:30 p.m. on October 15.




© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top