Hearing Victims' Families' Opinions at Appeal Trial
Victims' Families Request "Death Penalty"
At the final appeal trial of Choi Won-jong, who was sentenced to life imprisonment in the first trial for the "Bundang stabbing rampage case," the bereaved families of the victims urged the court to "sentence him to death."
On the afternoon of the 10th, in courtroom 704 of the Suwon High Court Criminal Division 2-1 (Presiding Judges Kim Min-ki, Kim Jong-woo, Park Kwang-seo), a man in his 60s with white hair held prepared statements in both hands and expressed his anguish. This man is the husband of Lee Hee-nam (then 65 years old), who died as a result of Choi Won-jong’s crime. He appeared in court to give a statement on behalf of the victims’ families before the conclusion of the appeal trial for Choi’s murder and related charges.
He said, "A 65-year-old elderly couple left their home to have dinner and were walking along the neighborhood street they always took when a car suddenly rushed from behind. It was unimaginable." He continued, "My wife, who was holding my hand as we walked, collapsed in a pool of blood in an instant, and I was the only one who survived." He added, "We lived very diligently, but life feels so empty. Our happy home was shattered in a moment." He also appealed, "It is truly regrettable that even when innocent people are killed, heinous murderers remain alive. Please deliver a stern message by sentencing him to death so that such premeditated murders never happen again. Please make our country safe."
Suspect Choi Won-jong in the 'Bundang Bladed Weapon Rampage Incident' is being transferred from Seongnam Sujeong Police Station detention center to the prosecution on the morning of August 10 last year in Sujeong-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do. [Image source=Yonhap News]
The mother of another deceased victim, Kim Hye-bin (20 years old at the time of the incident), said, "July 9th was Hye-bin’s 21st birthday. Since August 3rd of last year, she has not been able to live with us, so Hye-bin is still 20 years old." She added, "Hye-bin was tragically killed by Choi Won-jong. Choi did not just kill two people; he destroyed the hearts and souls of family, friends, and acquaintances."
She requested, "The most important factor in determining punishment should not be schizophrenia or diminished mental capacity but the 14 victims. Please sentence Choi Won-jong to death and remember the victims."
The judge, moved by the bereaved families’ statements, was silent for a while. With reddened eyes, the judge explained, "I believe it is meaningful to leave the victims’ pain in the trial records, which is why we proceeded with this procedure."
While the families’ testimonies continued, Choi Won-jong, seated in the defendant’s chair, showed little change in expression, fidgeting with his fingers, adjusting his wristwatch, or pushing his glasses upward.
On this day, the prosecution requested the death penalty, the same as in the first trial, stating, "The prosecution’s final opinion today fully adopts the words of the two bereaved families without any change." They added, "The first trial judge also deliberated deeply and wrote in the verdict that they fully understood the prosecutors, families, and public opinion calling for the harshest punishment." The prosecution urged, "We ask this court not only to understand the families’ feelings but to make a decisive ruling."
Suspect Choi Won-jong in the 'Bundang Bladed Weapon Rampage Incident' is being transferred from the Seongnam Sujeong Police Station detention center to the prosecution on the morning of August 10 last year in Sujeong-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do. [Image source=Yonhap News]
In his closing argument, Choi Won-jong’s defense attorney said, "The defendant and his family deeply regret what happened. We understand the desire for the death penalty." He continued, "However, the principle of legality, which requires criminal punishment to be based on law, must be upheld. As legal professionals, we must have no shame before the law." He explained, "Although the lower court ruled diminished mental capacity, it did not reduce the sentence as a mitigating factor. The defendant wishes to be punished as he has admitted. We only ask for mitigation for fairness as prescribed by law."
The defense requested the prosecution to apply for treatment and custody for Choi, but the prosecution rejected the request, stating, "We have determined that this is not a mental illness."
In his final statement, Choi Won-jong briefly said, "I ask for forgiveness from the bereaved families. I am sorry," and bowed.
Meanwhile, on August 3rd of last year, Choi Won-jong drove his mother’s car near AK Plaza Bundang branch in Bundang-gu, Seongnam City, and rammed into five pedestrians on the sidewalk. He then got out of the car and wielded a weapon inside the department store. He was charged with murder, attempted murder, and attempted premeditated murder. Two people, Kim Hye-bin and Lee Hee-nam, who were hit by the car, died in the hospital, and 12 others sustained serious injuries.
The first trial sentenced Choi Won-jong to life imprisonment and ordered him to wear an electronic tracking device for 30 years. He claimed, "It is difficult because inmates and prison officers harass me." The sentencing for Choi’s appeal trial is scheduled for August 20th at 2 p.m.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

