Attorney Kim Jeong-min: "There is clear evidence of the 'VIP anger rumor'"
The High-ranking Officials' Crime Investigation Division (PCC), which is investigating the 'allegations of external pressure in the investigation of the death of Marine Corps Corporal Chae,' summoned Marine Corps Commander Lieutenant General Kim Gye-hwan on the morning of the 21st, and in the afternoon summoned former Marine Corps Investigation Unit Chief Colonel Park Jeong-hoon for questioning.
Former Marine Corps Investigation Unit Chief Park Jeong-hoon is appearing at the High-ranking Officials' Crime Investigation Office (Gong-su-cheo) at the Government Complex Gwacheon on the afternoon of the 21st. [Image source=Yonhap News]
The PCC Investigation Division 4 (Chief Prosecutor Lee Dae-hwan) summoned former Chief Park in the afternoon as a witness.
Kim Jeong-min, the attorney representing former Chief Park, told reporters on the day, "Since the last investigation, there has been a lot of new information, so I think a slight supplementary investigation will be necessary, but I hope there will be no cross-examination."
He added, "Regarding the 'VIP rage rumor,' there is clear evidence, so I think the PCC sufficiently obtained an admission from Commander Kim during the morning investigation. Even the phone call on July 31 last year between Im Ki-hoon, then National Security Office Defense Secretary, and Commander Kim, which led to the cancellation of the media briefing, is sufficient evidence," he added.
The PCC plans to separately investigate former Chief Park and is also considering a confrontation investigation with Commander Kim. However, if both refuse the confrontation, only individual investigations are expected to take place.
Commander Kim is suspected of being involved in the process of external pressure from higher-ups applied to former Chief Park, who was conducting the initial investigation of Corporal Chae's death in July-August last year.
The core of the current allegation is that former Chief Park tried to refer eight officers, including former Marine Corps 1st Division Commander Im Seong-geun, to the police on charges of professional negligence resulting in death, but the higher-ups, including the Presidential Office, intervened to suspend this and reduce the number of suspects to two.
After former Chief Park reported the investigation results applying professional negligence resulting in death charges to eight officers, including the 1st Division Commander, to former Minister Lee on July 30 last year, Commander Kim suddenly notified the cancellation of the media briefing and ordered a return to the unit the next day. Subsequently, Defense Ministry Legal Affairs Officer Yoo Jae-eun called former Chief Park and told him to "remove all suspects and charges."
Former Chief Park stated that on the day the briefing was canceled, Commander Kim said, "There was a mention of the 1st Division investigation results at the Presidential Office VIP-hosted meeting in the morning, and after the VIP became enraged and spoke with former Minister Lee Jong-seop, this happened."
On the other hand, Commander Kim reportedly testified during the military prosecution investigation that "it seems former Chief Park is fabricating this story alone to escape the insubordination case," and "he never mentioned the VIP at all."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

