"Strong Punishment Needed in Drunk Driving Accident Trials"
Former Jeju United goalkeeper Yoo Yeon-su, who retired at a young age after becoming paralyzed from the waist down due to a drunk driving accident, once again expressed in court that he wants a sincere apology from the perpetrator.
On the 18th, the Jeju District Court Criminal Division 1 (Chief Judge Oh Chang-hoon) held the second appeal trial for a man in his 30s, A, who was prosecuted on charges including violation of the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Crimes (dangerous driving causing injury). Yoo Yeon-su, one of the victims, appeared in person to observe the trial.
The retirement ceremony of player Yoo Yeon-su held last November at Jeju Seogwipo World Cup Stadium. [Image provided by Jeju United]
Yoo Yeon-su said, "I have continuously said through the media and other channels that I want a sincere apology from the perpetrator, but I still have not received one," adding, "I only received messages saying 'a deposit has been made' or 'I will settle'." He urged for strict punishment, saying, "I also thought that the reason I have not received an apology despite wanting one might be because the punishment for drunk driving is too lenient."
A’s lawyer stated that A’s family is making efforts to reach a settlement, including selling their house. The court decided to hold the next trial session next month to allow time for settlement discussions.
A is accused of driving a car exceeding the speed limit at around 5:40 a.m. on October 18, 2022, at Gasiri Intersection in Pyoseon-myeon, Seogwipo City, and hitting a vehicle, injuring five passengers. At the time, his blood alcohol concentration was at a level warranting license cancellation (0.08% or higher), indicating intoxication.
The victim vehicle was carrying Jeju United goalkeeper Kim Dong-jun, Yoo Yeon-su, Lim Jun-seop, and trainers. Among them, Yoo Yeon-su suffered fatal injuries including paralysis from the waist down and underwent rehabilitation for nearly a year but ultimately decided to retire from active play at the young age of 25.
A was previously sentenced to four years in prison in the first trial. The prosecution appealed, arguing the sentence was too light, while A appealed, claiming the sentence was too harsh. Additionally, A is also accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a state unable to resist on January 15 of last year.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.
![Clutching a Stolen Dior Bag, Saying "I Hate Being Poor but Real"... The Grotesque Con of a "Human Knockoff" [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
