Former National Soccer Player Son Junho Released After 10 Months
Park Munsung, Who Spoke With Him, Said "He Thanked Me for Not Forgetting Him"
Son Jun-ho (32), a former national soccer team player who was detained in China on bribery-related charges, was released after about 10 months and returned to Korea. Soccer commentator Park Moon-sung conveyed Son Jun-ho’s feelings on his behalf. On the 25th, Park revealed through the YouTube channel ‘Dalsune Live’ that he had spoken with Son Jun-ho, who returned to Korea that day. Park announced the breaking news of Son Jun-ho’s release during the live broadcast, and after the live ended, he received a call from Son Jun-ho.
Soccer player Son Jun-ho, who was detained by Chinese authorities, was released after about 10 months and arrived in South Korea. [Image source=Yonhap News]
Park said, “I received a call from an unknown number, and it was Son Jun-ho. As soon as I answered, he started crying. A grown man was crying. He kept crying and said, ‘Thank you. Many people cared, showed interest, and didn’t forget me, so I was able to come back,’” he revealed.
He added, “After receiving the call, I didn’t know what to say. I told him he had endured a lot and that everything would be fine. I thought about how scary it must have been, being in a faraway place where he couldn’t meet anyone and didn’t know what would happen. I’m so relieved.”
Park said, “It seemed urgent for him to return to Korea itself. He had already been released last week, but he couldn’t tell anyone until he boarded the plane and landed in Korea. He was afraid of being detained again,” adding, “When I asked him, he said all the legal processes related to China were over. He said he never has to go to China again or face difficulties. Still, the trauma remains.”
Detained by Chinese Public Security While Trying to Return Home... Under Arrest Investigation
Son Jun-ho, who participated in the friendly match between Korea and Uruguay held at Seoul World Cup Stadium on March 28 last year. [Image source=Yonhap News]
Son Jun-ho, who was active in the Chinese professional team Shandong Taishan, was detained by public security at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport in China last May while trying to return home. He was then criminally detained and investigated by the Liaoning Provincial Public Security Bureau. His status changed from a witness to a suspect, and he underwent an arrest investigation.
At the time, Chinese authorities stated that Son Jun-ho was being investigated on charges of “bribery by a non-state actor.” There were speculations about his involvement in match-fixing or the possibility of money exchanging hands during his transfer between professional teams, but Son Jun-ho’s side strongly denied these allegations.
On the same day, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, “Player Son Jun-ho’s detention has ended, and he recently returned to Korea.” Regarding the situation, they explained, “We communicated with Chinese authorities through various channels and requested cooperation to ensure a prompt and fair procedure. We conducted over 20 consular meetings while maintaining close communication with his family in Korea and actively provided necessary support, including facilitating smooth access to legal counsel.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

