Former special prosecutor Park Young-soo, who was arrested and indicted on suspicion of receiving or being promised bribes from private developers involved in the Daejang-dong project, known as the so-called '5 Billion Club,' pleaded with the court for bail, saying, "I will participate sincerely in the trial without joking around, scheming, or using my head."
The key suspect in the 'Daejang-dong 5 Billion Club' case, former special prosecutor Park Young-soo, is attending the pre-arrest hearing held at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul on the 3rd. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@
On the 11th, former special prosecutor Park made these remarks during a bail hearing held by the Criminal Division 33 of the Seoul Central District Court (Presiding Judge Kim Dong-hyun).
Struggling to stand up from the defendant's seat, former special prosecutor Park said, "After living in the detention center, I realized that I was 'not cautious enough,'" and added, "If I had conducted myself more cautiously, this would not have happened."
He also said, "I apologize to the hardworking court," and "Many junior prosecutors are also struggling a lot, wasting their efforts on unnecessary matters."
Regarding the prosecution's opinion that there is a risk of evidence tampering if bail is granted, he drew a line by saying, "Since this case broke out, for nearly three years, top journalists in South Korea have been running around covering me."
His lawyer requested bail, saying, "All materials have been seized, so no matter how much the defendant tries to tamper with evidence, there is no way to do so," and "We hope that the right to a full defense will be guaranteed rather than being pressured by the detention period."
However, the prosecution pointed out, "Considering that the defendant destroyed his mobile phone and that people around him concealed related agreements, making it difficult for the prosecution to secure them, it cannot be concluded that there is no risk of evidence tampering." They added, "Even if bail is granted due to the expiration of the detention period, please consider conditions such as electronic monitoring or residence restrictions due to the risk of evidence tampering through contact with related parties."
The court said, "Since the detention period expires on the 20th of next month, bail must be granted," and "We will review and decide on electronic monitoring and other conditions."
Former special prosecutor Park was arrested and indicted on August 21 last year on charges of bribery under the Specific Economic Crimes Act and violation of the Anti-Graft Act. He is accused of receiving 800 million won and promising 20 billion won in exchange for accommodating requests related to the consortium of private developers, including Nam Wook, in connection with the Daejang-dong development project while serving as an outside director, chairman of the board, and audit committee member of Woori Bank from November 3, 2014, to April 7, 2015.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.
![Clutching a Stolen Dior Bag, Saying "I Hate Being Poor but Real"... The Grotesque Con of a "Human Knockoff" [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
