Agreement on Hostage and Prisoner Exchange and Temporary Ceasefire
First Release Targets 13 Israeli Women and Children
A four-day temporary ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinian armed faction Hamas will begin at 7 a.m. on the 24th (local time, 2 p.m. Korean time). Israel has warned of fierce battles following the temporary ceasefire.
On the 23rd, the Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced, "An agreement has been reached between both sides on the list of civilians to be released from the Gaza Strip."
On the first day of the ceasefire, 13 Israeli female and child hostages are scheduled to be released. Hamas plans to hand them over at 4 p.m. on the 24th.
The Qatari side stated that after Hamas releases the hostages, Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli prisons will be freed. Hamas also emphasized that the four-day temporary ceasefire will begin on the morning of the 24th, and for every Israeli hostage released, three Palestinian prisoners will be freed. Israel, too, announced that it received the first list of hostages to be released shortly after Qatar's schedule announcement.
U.S. President Joe Biden said on the day regarding the Hamas hostage release, "I hope it goes well."
Previously, after Hamas launched a surprise attack on Israel on October 7, both sides have been engaged in war. On the 22nd, Israel and Hamas agreed to a four-day temporary ceasefire for the exchange of hostages and prisoners. Hamas agreed to release about 50 of the approximately 240 hostages held in the Gaza Strip, and Israel agreed to free 150 Palestinian prisoners.
Although the implementation of the agreement was initially expected on the morning of the 23rd, it was delayed due to last-minute disagreements over the exchange method.
During the four-day ceasefire period, fighting will be completely halted in the northern and southern Gaza Strip. However, both Israel and Hamas have stated that they will resume fighting once the four-day temporary ceasefire ends.
Yoav Gallant, Israel's Minister of Defense, said, "Once the short temporary ceasefire with the terrorist organization Hamas ends, the Israel Defense Forces will resume fierce battles for at least two months. We must continue fighting to win the war and build momentum for the release of the next group of hostages. We must pressure Hamas to bring them back."
Meanwhile, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) warned just hours before the ceasefire announcement that Hamas might shake up negotiations over the hostage release.
Daniel Hagari, IDF Chief of Staff, said, "Hamas will try to use the time taken to implement the agreement and halt fighting to spread fear and misinformation and carry out psychological terror. Very complicated days lie ahead, and nothing is final until the actual implementation of the agreement. Everything is variable."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


