본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Shin Hak-rim: "I Didn't Even Go Near Hwacheon Daeyu Before Kim Man-bae Interview... Prosecution Tried to Fabricate Evidence"

Former Press Union Chairman Shin Hak-rim on the 11th completely denied the allegations of conspiring with private entrepreneur Kim Man-bae in Daejang-dong over a 'false interview,' calling it a "prosecutorial fabrication attempt."


Shin Hak-rim: "I Didn't Even Go Near Hwacheon Daeyu Before Kim Man-bae Interview... Prosecution Tried to Fabricate Evidence" Former Press Union Chairman Shin Hak-rim [Image source=Yonhap News]

On the same day, Shin appeared before the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office's special investigation team for the 'Presidential Election Interference Public Opinion Manipulation Case' (led by Chief Prosecutor Kang Baek-shin) to observe the digital forensic examination of seized items.


Upon arrival, Shin stated, "Between September 15 and 20, 2021, I did accompany Kim Man-bae to Hwacheon Daeyu, but I have never been near Hwacheon Daeyu or Cheonhwa-dongin before that." He added, "This is one of the attempts by the prosecution to fabricate evidence."


He continued, "When I visited Hwacheon Daeyu, I was introduced to two officials, and I met one of them again while Kim Man-bae was in prison." He said, "I secretly recorded without Kim Man-bae's permission, so I feel sorry. It is related to that. I went there to check on Kim Man-bae's health and to see if there was a channel to send him a short message."


Regarding the suspicion that Kim tried to establish a media foundation and appoint Shin as its chairman, Shin said, "I will not comment," adding, "Isn't that something Kim Man-bae should answer? Why are you asking me?"


The prosecution summoned Shin on the 7th as a suspect on charges of breach of trust and violation of the Improper Solicitation and Graft Act, conducting an interview for about 14 hours to investigate the circumstances of the interview, reporting, and the process of receiving money.


Considering Shin's strong denial of the charges and the risk of collusion in testimonies due to co-defendant Kim's release after his detention period expired, the prosecution is reviewing the possibility of requesting an arrest warrant soon.


Shin is accused of conspiring with Kim to conduct a false interview on September 15, 2021, claiming that then-People Power Party presidential candidate Yoon Seok-yeol had covered up the investigation of loan broker Jo Woo-hyung during the 2011 Busan Savings Bank case. This interview was reported through Newstapa on March 6 last year, three days before the presidential election. According to the prosecution's investigation, Shin received 165 million won from Kim as compensation.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top