본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

'Busan Dollyeochagi' Man "20 Years Is Life Imprisonment at 32" Appeal Reasons Revealed

'Random Crimes' Against Women in Their 20s Last Year
Sentenced to 20 Years Imprisonment, Appeal Claims 'Excessive Sentence'
Victim's Side "Completely Denies Trial Outcome"

On the 11th, the statement of reasons for appeal submitted to the Supreme Court by male suspect A (32), who brutally assaulted a woman in her 20s on her way home from downtown Busan in the 'Busan Dolleochagi' incident, was made public. He pleaded, "The second trial court failed to correct the misinformation spread by the media and public opinion, and was too biased to conduct a fair trial," adding, "A 20-year prison sentence at the age of 32 is excessive. It is equivalent to a life sentence." A was sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Busan High Court in June on charges including attempted murder and has appealed to the Supreme Court.

'Busan Dollyeochagi' Man "20 Years Is Life Imprisonment at 32" Appeal Reasons Revealed Busan spinning kick incident CCTV footage. (Photo by Yonhap News TV)

In the statement of reasons for appeal released by the victim's lawyer, it was written, "I initially did not intend to appeal to the third trial, but my parents advised me to try until the end, and they said there were suspicious parts." He admitted to the assault but emphasized that it was an impulsive crime committed under diminished mental capacity. In particular, he argued that the prosecution's amendment of the indictment to include 'attempted rape and murder' during the appeal process was "illegal as it severely infringed on the right to defense." The victim's side stated that "the statement of reasons for appeal essentially denies the entire outcome of the appeal trial."


The Busan 'Dolleochagi' incident refers to a random crime where, on May 22 of last year, A assaulted a woman in her 20s, B, whom he did not know, in the shared entrance of an officetel in Seomyeon, Busanjin-gu, Busan. The second trial court recognized the charge of attempted rape and murder and sentenced him to 20 years in prison. Additionally, he was ordered to have his identity disclosed on information and communication networks for 10 years, prohibited from working at child-related institutions for 10 years, and required to wear an electronic tracking device for 20 years. The victim's lawyer said, "Because the defendant essentially denies all of his charges, it evokes not only strong anger but also fear," adding, "The victim is still emotionally very distressed."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top