"Lost 18kg After Detention" Request for Sentence Reduction
Court: "Cannot Reduce Sentence Due to Health Issues"
The perpetrator, who was sentenced to 7 years in prison in the first trial for causing the death of a 9-year-old child while driving under the influence in a school zone, requested a sentence reduction, claiming to be suffering from leukemia.
On the 26th, the Criminal Division 7 of the Seoul High Court (Presiding Judges Lee Gyu-hong, Lee Ji-young, Kim Seul-gi) held the first appeal trial for A (40), who was indicted on charges including violation of the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Crimes (hit-and-run resulting in death).
A’s lawyer said, "It is shameless, but the defendant currently has leukemia and is in a precarious situation like a candle in the wind, so it is uncertain whether he can endure detention," requesting a sentence reduction considering the defendant’s health condition.
He continued, "If things go wrong, the 7-year sentence could become a life sentence," and argued, "The defendant lost 18 kg after being detained, and it should be examined whether the detention situation has affected the worsening of the leukemia."
The lawyer also emphasized that the 350 million won previously deposited by A for the bereaved family was separate from the compensation and was intended as consolation money, and stated that efforts would be made to seek forgiveness from the victim’s side. However, the bereaved family is refusing to accept the deposit.
The court said, "It is a bit inappropriate to reduce the sentence just because the health is not good," and added, "We will hold a subsequent trial for settlement." The next hearing is scheduled for September 1.
Earlier, A was arrested and indicted for driving under the influence in a drunken state in front of Eonbuk Elementary School in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, in December last year, hitting B, who was leaving school at the time, and causing his death.
The prosecution demanded a 20-year prison sentence, arguing that A fled the scene after the accident and left B unattended. However, in the first trial, the court acquitted A of the hit-and-run charge, noting that he returned to the scene and admitted to being the perpetrator, and sentenced him to 7 years in prison.
In response, the prosecution immediately appealed, stating, "Stricter punishment is necessary for child death accidents caused by drunk driving in school zones."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


