Daegu Mayor Hong Jun-pyo Faces Disciplinary Threat Over Beneficiary Golf Incident
Won Hee-ryong Gains Presence Despite Yangpyeong Expressway Cancellation...
Yoo Seung-min Explores Third Political Zone, Saying "All Possibilities Open"?>
Presidential hopefuls from the ruling party have all stepped into the eye of the storm. Ahead of the 20th presidential election, Hong Joon-pyo, Mayor of Daegu, former lawmaker Yoo Seung-min, and Won Hee-ryong, Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, who had faced off against President Yoon Seok-yeol during the People Power Party's presidential primary, have all been embroiled in controversies.
According to political circles on the 22nd, in the People Power Party's presidential primary held on November 5, 2021, President Yoon won with 47.85%. At that time, Mayor Hong received 41.50%, former lawmaker Yoo 7.47%, and Minister Won 3.17%. Notably, Mayor Hong led in opinion polls but lost in the party member and elector votes, tasting defeat. President Yoon then defeated Lee Jae-myung, leader of the Democratic Party, and Sim Sang-jung, leader of the Justice Party, in the presidential election to claim the presidency.
The three hopefuls left on the path of defeat are seeking new political avenues, but challenges continue.
'Flood Golf' Hong Joon-pyo Faces Disciplinary Threat from Party Ethics Committee
Hong Joon-pyo, who was President Yoon’s strongest rival in the last presidential primary, reaffirmed his political presence by winning the Daegu mayoral election in last year’s local elections. Especially, Mayor Hong maintained his influence through online communities like Cheongnyeon-ui Kkum (Youth’s Dream) and social networking services (SNS), where he enjoyed strong support from young people. However, his characteristic blunt remarks sparked controversy.
For example, on April 9, Mayor Hong appeared on MBC and said, "We chose a president without political skills, bypassing all those with seasoned political abilities," drawing criticism from the ruling party. He pointed out, "It’s nonsense to expect to have conversations, debates, and compromises like the seasoned 'Three Kims politics' with a politically inexperienced president," and questioned, "Why blame the president when we elected one without political skills?" However, the ruling People Power Party and the Yongsan Presidential Office did not hide their discomfort.
Especially on May 10, marking President Yoon’s first year in office, Mayor Hong harshly criticized the presidential office, saying, "Most of the people in the Yoon Seok-yeol administration’s presidential office don’t understand politics well," during a meeting with Lee Jae-myung. Subsequently, Mayor Hong was dismissed from his position as the party’s senior advisor.
Recently, Mayor Hong faced his biggest political crisis since the last presidential election. It was revealed that he played golf at a golf course in Daegu on the 15th, when heavy rains caused casualties nationwide. In response to criticism targeting him, Mayor Hong argued, "Is there any regulation in the public service that says you can’t play golf on weekends but can play tennis?" and added, "Except for emergency duty, weekends are free for public officials, except for the president." He pushed back against the criticism.
However, this explanation led to even greater controversy. The party’s Ethics Committee began disciplinary discussions against Mayor Hong, citing violations of the People Power Party’s ethics code, which prohibits actions contrary to public sentiment such as playing golf during a national disaster. Mayor Hong officially apologized, saying, "I sincerely apologize to the citizens and party members who were hurt by the flood," but it seems unlikely he will avoid disciplinary action.
Hwang Jeong-geun, chairman of the People Power Party Ethics Committee, stated, "While (Mayor Hong’s apology) helped contain the spread of controversy, the Ethics Committee must hold him accountable for the act that has already occurred. Regardless of whether laws were violated or manuals followed, violations of ethics regulations and rules as a party member are grounds for discipline."
The Ethics Committee will finalize the disciplinary action against Mayor Hong on the 26th.
Won Hee-ryong Raised Profile with 'Cancellation of Yangpyeong Highway' but Faces Backlash Concerns
After the last presidential primary, Won Hee-ryong, who served as the policy chief of President Yoon’s campaign, expanded his influence as Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport after the administration took office, strengthening his position as a potential next presidential candidate. However, he found himself at the center of controversy after declaring the cancellation of the Seoul-Yangpyeong highway construction project, amid allegations involving First Lady Kim Geon-hee’s family.
Minister Won is also scheduled to face intense questioning from opposition parties at the National Assembly’s Land, Infrastructure and Transport Committee on the 26th. The controversy centers on the fact that the route, which passed a preliminary feasibility study two years ago, was suddenly changed in May after President Yoon took office, and that the endpoint of the changed route in Gang-sang-myeon, Yangpyeong County, includes land owned by the First Lady’s family. In response to these allegations from the opposition, Minister Won declared, "Because the Democratic Party’s relentless incitement will continue, we are canceling the Seoul-Yangpyeong highway project altogether."
This move was praised within the ruling party as a strong countermeasure against the Democratic Party’s agitation but has also been criticized both inside and outside the party as a self-inflicted wound. Minister Won, who was part of the so-called ‘Namwonjeong’ trio (Nam Kyung-pil, Won Hee-ryong, Jung Byung-guk), is considered a young reformist within the ruling party and has been regarded as a ‘reasonable conservative’ even by the opposition. However, following his role as the ‘top lecturer on Daejang-dong’ in the last presidential election and his firm stance during the Cargo Truckers’ Union strike, his declaration to cancel the Yangpyeong highway has solidified his image as a ‘hardline conservative.’ While he succeeded in embracing the People Power Party’s base, critics argue he has lost the moderate conservative image necessary to appeal to the centrist voters who will be the casting vote in next year’s general election.
Yoo Seung-min Says He Has "Kept All Possibilities Open"
During the last presidential primary, former lawmaker Yoo Seung-min, who clashed most directly with President Yoon, attempted to make a comeback by running for governor of Gyeonggi Province but was defeated in the primary against then-lawmaker Kim Eun-hye (currently presidential office spokesperson). After his defeat, Yoo expressed his feelings, saying, "The aftermath of power is tremendous," and admitted, "I lost in the confrontation with President-elect Yoon Seok-yeol."
Later, Yoo’s bid for the People Power Party leadership was seen as a chance for revival. He led in various opinion polls but withdrew his candidacy after the party’s constitution and regulations, which had stipulated that the party leader would be elected by 70% party members and 30% public opinion polls, were changed to 100% party members. Through SNS, he announced, "I will not run for party leader. I have thought it through and concluded it is meaningless," adding, "I will only look to public sentiment and pioneer a new path." Yoo was at a disadvantage within the party but showed strength in public opinion.
Yoo has voiced sharp criticism of the government on issues such as the Itaewon disaster and Fukushima contaminated water. This has led to criticism within and outside the People Power Party that he is "a more severe opposition than the Democratic Party."
After a lecture on ‘Setting the Party Straight (Jeongbasae)’ held at the National Assembly Members’ Office Building, Yoo told reporters about his plans for next year’s general election, saying, "Nothing is decided yet regarding whether I will run, where I will run, whether I will form a new party, or stay." He added, "I am keeping all possibilities open and am considering everything. The general election will be a very important opportunity to change our politics, and although my influence is small, I have to think from a blank slate about where and how I will participate."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.



