[Asia Economy New York=Special Correspondent Joselgina] A shooting incident occurred at a parade during the 'Mardi Gras' festival held in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, resulting in 1 death and 4 injuries.
According to CNN, WWL-TV, and others on the 20th (local time), a shooting took place at 9:30 PM on Sunday along a popular parade route in downtown New Orleans. Five people, including one child, were shot and transported to the hospital, and among them, one male died during surgery. The deceased male is known to be a late teenager, but his identity has not been disclosed.
Hans Gantier, New Orleans Police Chief, said at a press conference, "Two weapons were secured at the scene, and a suspect believed to be the shooter was arrested," adding, "Whether this was a lone act will be confirmed through investigation." The details of the incident have not been revealed.
A witness who requested anonymity told WWL-TV that gunfire suddenly started and people gathered to watch the parade began to flee. He said, "I heard 12 to 15 shots." The parade was also halted due to the shooting.
Mardi Gras, held annually around this time mainly in the southern United States, is a Christian festival originating from France. Participants riding decorated parade floats dress up as various characters and throw bead necklaces, plastic cups, and other items to spectators. The Mardi Gras held in New Orleans is considered one of the largest in the United States.
At least 82 mass shootings have been reported in the United States so far this year. On the same day in the morning, a shooting also occurred at a live lounge in Memphis, Tennessee, resulting in 1 death and 10 injuries. Of the 10 injured, 5 have been discharged, but the remaining 5 are still in critical condition, according to Memphis police.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


