Itaewon National Assembly 2nd Hearing Today (6th)
Lee Sang-min, Minister of the Interior and Safety, "Apologizes to the Bereaved Families"
[Asia Economy Reporters Kum Boryeong and Park Juni] "Regarding the October 29 Itaewon incident, on behalf of the government and including my personal capacity, I sincerely apologize to the bereaved families who lost their beloved relatives."
On the morning of the 6th, Minister of the Interior and Safety Lee Sang-min bowed his head and said at the 2nd hearing of the National Assembly's Special Committee on the Itaewon Disaster Investigation (National Assembly Special Committee) held at the National Assembly, "I would like to apologize along with my commitment to do my best to comfort and alleviate the pain of the bereaved families even a little." About ten bereaved families of the Itaewon disaster attended the hearing. Earlier, Minister Lee had bowed his head once when he appeared before the National Assembly's Administrative Safety Committee on November 1, just three days after the Itaewon disaster last year, but he was criticized for not directly apologizing to the bereaved families.
Earlier, Joo Ho-young, floor leader of the People Power Party, pointed out at the party's floor strategy meeting that day, "So far, responsible public officials have been shirking responsibility and passing the buck at the hearings, causing the public to click their tongues." Floor leader Joo said, "The purpose of the investigation is to uncover the truth, determine responsibility, and prevent recurrence," adding, "If sufficient measures for prevention are not produced, we will create a special subcommittee within the Administrative Safety Committee to thoroughly prepare at the National Assembly level so that such absurd, primitive, and backward-country-type casualties never happen again."
The day before, after much difficulty, the ruling and opposition parties agreed to extend the period of the Itaewon National Assembly Special Committee by ten days, and at the plenary session held that afternoon, they will process an agenda to extend the activity period of the Special Committee, which was scheduled to end on the 7th, until the 17th. Accordingly, the Special Committee plans to hold a 3rd hearing and a public hearing next week. However, due to persistent differences between the ruling and opposition parties regarding witness adoption for the hearings and other issues, the future schedule is expected to face difficulties.
Park Hong-geun, floor leader of the Democratic Party of Korea, said at the party's Supreme Council meeting that day, "The Democratic Party will strictly hold Minister Lee Sang-min fully accountable for all responsibilities related to the Itaewon disaster," but also said, "I earnestly request the ruling party's National Assembly investigation members. While I understand your desire to finish the investigation as soon as possible, please fulfill your duties through the 3rd hearing, the public hearing on prevention measures, and the adoption of the final report."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


