"Unable to Hear Testimonies from Victims and Bereaved Families
Cannot End Activities"
[Asia Economy Reporter Oh Ju-yeon] The Democratic Party of Korea has urged an extension of the special committee's activities investigating the Itaewon disaster, which is set to end on the 7th.
On the 4th, the Democratic Party's Yongsan Itaewon Disaster Countermeasures Headquarters held a press conference at the National Assembly Communication Office in the morning, stating that "an extension of the special committee's investigation period is inevitable." The ruling and opposition parties agreed to conduct a total of 45 days of activities from November 24 last year to January 7 this year through the 'Special Committee for the Investigation of the Yongsan Itaewon Disaster and Prevention of Recurrence' to identify the causes of the Itaewon disaster and investigate the overall accident, as well as to prepare measures to prevent recurrence. However, during the prolonged budget negotiations that followed, time for the investigation was wasted, making it difficult to follow the agreed schedule.
Nam In-soon, the head of the countermeasures headquarters, pointed out, "The ruling and opposition parties agreed to hold three hearings and decided on the schedule, but the third hearing involving bereaved families and survivors has not been able to finalize witnesses and dates," adding, "There is a risk that the third hearing agreed upon by both parties may not be held."
Nam emphasized, "We cannot end the special committee investigation without hearing testimonies from the victims and their families of the Yongsan Itaewon disaster," and stressed, "The third hearing involving victims and survivors must be held." She also added, "A public hearing to prepare measures for recurrence prevention should be held, and a consultation period between the ruling and opposition parties for adopting the final report is also necessary."
After the press conference, Representative Park Ju-min told reporters, "The demands of the bereaved families are very strong," and predicted that the People Power Party would find it difficult to outright reject an extension of the investigation period.
Park said, "Considering that there were many shortcomings in the previous investigation and that the victims' families strongly want to speak, can the National Assembly avoid this? From a principled standpoint, it will be difficult for the People Power Party to refuse an extension."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


