본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Woods: "I will perform better next year"..."I have never tested positive for COVID-19"

Woods Reveals Next Year's Plans at Hero World Challenge Official Press Conference
Confirmed to Compete with Son Charlie at December 17 PNC Championship
McIlroy Denies Own COVID-19 Infection Remarks

Woods: "I will perform better next year"..."I have never tested positive for COVID-19"

[Asia Economy Reporter No Woo-rae] 'Golf Emperor' Tiger Woods (USA, photo) said he plans to participate in more tournaments next year.


On the 29th (local time), at the official press conference of the special event Hero World Challenge (total prize money $3.5 million) held at Albany Golf Club in the Bahamas (par 72, 7,414 yards), Woods said, "My goal for 2023 is to play in 1 to 2 more tournaments besides the major championships," adding, "I tried to do that this year as well, but my physical condition did not allow it." Woods suffered a severe leg injury in a car accident in February last year, which prevented him from participating in the 2021 season, and this year he appeared only three times in major tournaments.


Woods was scheduled to participate in the Hero World Challenge starting December 1, but withdrew due to plantar fasciitis in his right foot. Since this tournament is hosted by the Tiger Woods Foundation, he attended the press conference as the event organizer. The last time Woods directly participated in the Hero World Challenge was in 2019. The tournament was not held in 2020 due to COVID-19, and he missed last year due to aftereffects of the car accident.


The US Golf Channel pointed to the Genesis Invitational in February or the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March as tournaments where Woods is likely to appear next year. Regarding his physical condition, Woods explained, "There is no problem with making shots," and "When I play on a course near my home riding a cart, I shoot around 4 to 7 under par." However, while preparing to get his legs in condition to walk 72 holes, he recently experienced strain in his right foot.


Although Woods withdrew from the Hero World Challenge, he is scheduled to participate in the PNC Championship with his son Charlie for two days starting December 17. Woods said about the PNC Championship, "Charlie takes all the shots, and I only have to putt, so it's easy to play," adding, "Above all, I can use a cart."


Woods did not comment on the event where he will be paired with Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland) against the team of Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth (both USA). He denied an interview from two days ago in which McIlroy claimed to have transmitted COVID-19 to him. Woods emphasized, "I also got tested, but the result was negative," and "I was not feeling well, but I have never tested positive."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top