Jeollanam-do Provincial Government Decides to Issue 'Administrative Order Compliance Certificate'
Ministry of SMEs and Startups: "Compensation Payment Possible with Certificate"
Concerns Over Potential Regional Discrimination Continue
Small business owners left out of the loss compensation fund held a rally on the 22nd in front of the War Memorial in Yongsan-gu, Seoul, urging the expansion of the payment criteria for the loss compensation fund.
[Asia Economy Reporter Choi Dong-hyun] Amid controversy over a 'blind spot' where private tutors operating study rooms have not received loss compensation funds despite complying with government administrative orders for quarantine measures, the Ministry of SMEs and Startups has recognized exceptions in some regions. First, private tutors under the jurisdiction of the Jeollanam-do Office of Education will be able to receive loss compensation funds by issuing an 'Administrative Order Compliance Certificate' as early as the 30th.
Related article "Hagwons are allowed but study rooms are not"... Controversy over loss compensation fund 'blind spot'
According to a compilation of Asia Economy's coverage on the 30th, the Jeonnam Office of Education plans to send an official letter to each education support office between today and tomorrow (June 30 to July 1) instructing them to issue the Administrative Order Compliance Certificate to private tutors. This certificate is a required document for applying for the loss compensation fund 'verification payment' implemented by the Ministry of SMEs and Startups since the 13th. Until now, private tutors, unlike hagwons, have complied with government quarantine guidelines by restricting business hours and the number of people and even suspending operations based on the education office's recommendations, but have been refused certificate issuance by the responsible authorities. However, the Jeonnam Office of Education is the first local government nationwide to instruct the issuance of this certificate.
A representative from the Jeonnam Office of Education said, "Jeonnam Provincial Government issued administrative orders three times on September 4, October 3, and October 18 last year, imposing quarantine measures such as personnel restrictions on private tutors," adding, "Based on this, we concluded that issuing the Administrative Order Compliance Certificate is possible." He continued, "Currently, each education support office under the Jeonnam Provincial Government is causing confusion regarding whether to issue the certificate, but we will send an official letter as early as today to ensure issuance."
The Ministry of SMEs and Startups has stated that it will immediately support these individuals with loss compensation funds. Lee Eun-cheong, head of the Small Business COVID-19 Recovery Support Team at the Ministry of SMEs and Startups, said in a phone interview with Asia Economy, "The entities responsible for quarantine measures and enforcement are each local government and their respective education offices," adding, "If they acknowledge that quarantine measures were implemented, there is no reason for us not to provide loss compensation funds to private tutors."
Although private tutors under the jurisdiction of the Jeonnam Provincial Government will receive loss compensation funds, there is concern that in certain regions where the certificate is not issued, another form of discrimination may arise. Regarding this, Lee Eun-cheong explained, "The administrative orders were not issued by the Ministry of Health and Welfare but by each local government based on their own standards," adding, "Whether loss compensation funds are received may vary by region."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

