본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Prosecution Seeks 20-Year Prison Sentence in Appeal for 40-Year-Old in 'Gwangju High Prosecutors' Office Weapon Rampage' Case

Prosecution Seeks 20-Year Prison Sentence in Appeal for 40-Year-Old in 'Gwangju High Prosecutors' Office Weapon Rampage' Case


[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Park Jin-hyung] The prosecution has requested a heavy sentence in the appeal trial for a man in his 40s who went on a stabbing rampage at the Gwangju Prosecutor's Office building.


On the 28th, at the sentencing hearing held under the jurisdiction of the 2-2 Criminal Division of the Gwangju High Court (Presiding Judge Lee Soo-young), the prosecution requested the same 20-year prison sentence as in the first trial for A (49), who was charged with attempted murder.


The prosecution emphasized, "The crime was committed based on political views and hatred toward a specific region," and added, "The crime even escalated to an attempt to kill a person."


They continued, "Fortunately, it remained an attempt, but that was because the victim, who was physically strong, desperately blocked the attack, not due to the defendant's self-restraint," and stated, "The consequences are severe and the harm is serious, requiring long-term social isolation."


A’s defense counsel appealed for leniency, saying, "The defendant reached this incident in a state where (schizophrenia) was deepened due to inadequate treatment and could not endure auditory hallucinations."


They added, "Since being detained, he has been receiving continuous treatment and is currently emotionally stable," and "there is no concern for recidivism."


When the court asked A why he committed the crime at the Gwangju Prosecutor's Office, where he had no ties, he said, "I refuse to answer." Later, in his final statement, he said, "I am sorry. I will receive treatment diligently."


The sentencing hearing will be held at 2:10 p.m. on the 19th of next month in the same courtroom.


A was brought to trial on charges including stabbing a prosecutor in his 50s with a 1-meter-long weapon in the hallway on the 8th floor of the Gwangju High Prosecutors' Office and District Prosecutors' Office building in Jisan-dong, Dong-gu, around 9:50 a.m. on August 9 last year, causing injuries requiring eight weeks of medical treatment.


He drove from his home in Gyeongnam to the Gwangju High Prosecutors' Office, where he had no ties, and went on a stabbing rampage.


When the courthouse main gate was closed due to construction, he rammed the parking barrier at the prosecutor's office main gate next door and broke into the prosecutor's office building, threatening staff by asking, "Where is the judge's office?"


Before the crime, he posted derogatory regional comments on his blog and reportedly stated that he "heard auditory hallucinations instructing him to kill."


A admitted to the crime but claimed his mental state was unstable and requested a psychiatric evaluation from the court.


The first trial court recognized a diminished mental capacity due to schizophrenia and sentenced him to eight years in prison with five years of probation.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top