본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Kwon Young-se "Nuclear Test Leads to North Korea's Security and Economic Weakening... Willing to Talk with Ri Son-gwon"

"Humanitarian Aid Will Proceed Regardless of North Korea Sanctions"
"North Korea Human Rights Foundation to Launch Within the Year... Gathering Opinions on Establishing 'Separated Families Day'"

Kwon Young-se "Nuclear Test Leads to North Korea's Security and Economic Weakening... Willing to Talk with Ri Son-gwon" [Image source=Yonhap News]

[Asia Economy Reporter Ki-min Lee] On the 21st, Kwon Young-se, Minister of Unification, warned, "North Korea may achieve some progress in nuclear-related technology through nuclear tests, but it must be clearly understood that such tests will ultimately lead to the deterioration of North Korea's security and economic power."


He emphasized that North Korea's hardline policies, such as missile test launches and nuclear tests, will only lead to stronger sanctions without yielding practical benefits, and therefore, North Korea should engage in dialogue as soon as possible.


Regarding this, Minister Kwon also stressed his willingness to hold talks anytime and anywhere with "responsible authorities" such as Ri Son-gwon, head of North Korea's United Front Department.


At the first press briefing held at the Inter-Korean Dialogue Headquarters in Jongno-gu, Seoul, in the afternoon, Minister Kwon said, "Since the nuclear issue is no longer just a matter between South and North Korea, I would first like to say that under close cooperation with the international community, including the United States, we are reviewing stronger sanctions against North Korea and stronger ROK-US military response measures."


When asked about "the government's predicted timing of North Korea's 7th nuclear test and the possibility of independent sanctions against North Korea," Minister Kwon added, "I am carefully reviewing whether independent sanctions against North Korea are possible, in addition to mentioning international cooperation and ROK-US military response measures."


Of course, he also emphasized his willingness to engage in dialogue with North Korea. Minister Kwon said, "We will make further efforts to shift the strained inter-Korean relations toward a dialogue phase," and added, "As Minister of Unification, I am willing to talk with Ri Son-gwon, head of the United Front Department, anytime, anywhere, and in any form."


Regarding this, a senior official from the Ministry of Unification drew a line when asked whether the appointment of Ri Son-gwon as head of the United Front Department was an official proposal for dialogue to the North, saying, "Not necessarily."


The senior official further explained, "It is similar to when North Korea first announced the outbreak of COVID-19 on May 12, and Minister Kwon intended to propose discussions on COVID-19 quarantine measures to then head Kim Yong-chol of the United Front Department," adding, "It is a matter of responsible authorities from the North and South meeting and having an open and frank conversation."


Usually, the counterpart for dialogue with the Minister of Unification is the chairman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland (CPRF), but North Korea stated last year that the CPRF, a dialogue body for inter-Korean affairs, was unnecessary and that they would consider its dissolution; currently, the chairman has not been confirmed.


Minister Kwon also clearly expressed his intention to actively provide humanitarian aid regardless of whether North Korea conducts nuclear tests. Referring to North Korea's COVID-19 and acute intestinal diseases, he said, "As we have stated several times, related aid to North Korea will continue without political or military considerations," and urged, "I hope North Korea will respond to our proposals and overcome the current difficulties together and expand cooperation in the health and medical fields."


He pledged to accelerate efforts to launch the North Korean Human Rights Foundation within the year, a campaign promise of the Yoon Suk-yeol administration. Minister Kwon said, "I will personally work hard to ensure the North Korean Human Rights Foundation can be launched this year," emphasizing, "Once launched, based on the functions specified in the North Korean Human Rights Act, such as developing policy alternatives and conducting research, the foundation will work to resolve the humanitarian difficulties of North Korean residents."


He added, "Some argue that North Korean human rights should be used as a means, but I do not agree with this," and said, "The North Korean human rights issue is a global civic right and a universal value, so I will focus on practical improvements."


He also mentioned that he will gather opinions from various sectors regarding the proposal to designate "Separated Families Day" as a national memorial day.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top