Gyeonggi Province Governor Candidate Kang Yong-seok, Independent, Also Served as Support Speaker
On Choi Soon-sil's Appeal Loss, "I Understand the Judge's Intention Who Supported Assemblyman An Min-seok"
Jung Yura, daughter of Choi Seo-won (formerly Choi Soon-sil), who is imprisoned for the 'state manipulation' case, is giving a support speech at the launch event for independent candidate Kang Yong-seok for Gyeonggi Province governor, held on the afternoon of the 19th at Jidonggyo Bridge in Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do. [Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Intern Reporter Kim Nayeon] Jung Yura, daughter of Choi Seo-won (formerly Choi Soon-sil), who is imprisoned for the 'state affairs manipulation' case, stated that she would immediately stop her Facebook activities if former Minister of Justice Cho Kuk did so, in response to criticism of her Facebook activity.
On the 20th, Jung said on Facebook, "People keep asking, 'You were convicted of admission fraud, so why are you on Facebook?'" and added, "If former Minister Cho Kuk quits Facebook, I will quit immediately too."
This reflects her view that the case of former Minister Cho Kuk, who was convicted of admission fraud leading to the cancellation of his daughter Cho Min's admission to Korea University and Busan National University Medical School, is no different from her own case, yet only she is being singled out.
Jung's final academic qualification is middle school graduation after her graduation from Cheongdam High School and admission to Ewha Womans University were canceled due to attendance manipulation and admission privileges. This has led to criticism and objections from some quarters regarding the appropriateness of her Facebook activities.
She said, "People say I haven't come to my senses? Over the past six years, I have watched with my own eyes as the most precious people collapsed under falsehoods, so of course, I am not in my right mind," adding, "It was more painful than having my medals and abilities denied."
Meanwhile, Jung appeared as a supporting speaker for Kang Yong-seok, an independent candidate running for Governor of Gyeonggi Province, and even shed tears during her speech.
On the first official day of the June 1 local election campaign, the 19th, she attended Kang's kickoff rally at the entrance of Jidong Market in Paldal-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi Province, appealing for support.
Jung said, "I have suffered a lot over the past six years due to baseless rumors," and described Kang as "a candidate who reached out to me during difficult times, giving me opportunities to clear my grievances through appearances on YouTube broadcasts."
She continued, "Things that were not true became true, and I lived as a criminal despite being innocent," claiming, "There were countless Democratic Party supporters shouting loudly in front of my house, reporters who came to my house under the pretext of coverage indiscriminately taking pictures of my baby, and even threatening letters saying they would kill my children if I did not commit suicide. All of this happened with the tacit approval of the Democratic Party government."
She added, "People do not only die by knives; living is not just about eating or sleeping. I have lived such a life from six years ago until this very moment," and said, "I don't mind suffering alone, but because of me, the lives of my sons, my mother, and even former President Park have been turned upside down and walked the path to ruin."
Earlier, Jung filed a complaint with the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency requesting an investigation into former Minister Cho Kuk, Democratic Party lawmaker Ahn Min-seok, former journalist Joo Jin-woo, and broadcaster Kim Eo-jun for defamation and insult by spreading false information. She accompanied independent candidate Kang and Kim Se-ui, head of the YouTube channel 'Garo Sero Institute (Gaseyeon).' On the 27th of last month, Jung appeared on 'Gaseyeon' to express her grievances about the 'state affairs manipulation' incident.
On the same day, Jung publicly criticized the judge who ruled against Choi Seo-won (formerly Choi Soon-sil), who filed a damages lawsuit claiming that Democratic Party lawmaker Ahn Min-seok spread false information about hidden assets and lost the appeal.
On her Facebook, she sarcastically wrote, "I understand the judge's intention who sided with lawmaker Ahn in the second trial. I will take it to mean that from now on, anything can be said for public interest," and added, "You won't punish me if I do the same, right?"
She continued, "'There is no problem because it is a public interest suspicion.' Everyone, if it is for public interest, you can say any falsehood," and questioned, "Is this a court? Judge, why did you ask if the reporter came?" She added, "The judge has now given wings to all lawmakers' outrageous novels. Please be ashamed."
The Seoul Southern District Court overturned the first trial ruling that ordered lawmaker Ahn to pay 100 million won to Choi and ruled in favor of the defendant. In response, lawmaker Ahn stated on Facebook, "I thought it was not worth responding in the first trial, but this time I prepared thoroughly for the trial and won," adding, "Since exposing the state affairs manipulation and leading the candlelight protests, I have been harassed by 15 lawsuits and fake news from Choi and others, but I will never yield."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


