[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Hyunjin] Social networking service (SNS) Twitter has revised and expanded its regulations to prevent the spread of false information during war or disaster situations. This move draws attention as it comes amid Tesla CEO Elon Musk's emphasis on 'freedom of expression' and his announcement to abolish various Twitter regulations.
According to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and others on the 19th (local time), Twitter announced in a blog post that it has established measures to reduce the distribution of false information and expand the distribution of reliable information during crises, including war, natural disasters, and public health emergencies.
Twitter first defines crisis situations as those involving widespread threats to life, physical safety, health, and basic livelihood, and explained that it will determine the falsity of information based on multiple trusted public sources, including information obtained from monitoring groups, human rights organizations, and journalists.
Content that is false or potentially misleading will be blocked from being retweeted, liked, or shared, and will be prevented from appearing on widely viewed home timelines or search functions. Additionally, accounts managed by state-run media or governments will have separate warning labels, and users must click these labels to view the content.
Yoel Roth, Twitter's Head of Safety, stated, "While this measure focuses on the international armed conflict following the start of the Ukraine war, we plan to update and expand policies to include other forms of crises."
Twitter's announcement comes as Musk is emphasizing freedom of expression while pursuing the acquisition of Twitter. Musk previously stated, "Freedom of expression is the foundation on which democracy works," and said he would significantly ease Twitter's censorship policies. He also announced plans to restore former President Donald Trump's Twitter account, which was permanently suspended after the January 6 Capitol riot last year.
Meanwhile, on the same day, Twitter clarified that the acquisition deal is not on hold despite Musk's recent declaration of a pause, and that the contract is proceeding as planned. According to Bloomberg News, Twitter's Chief Legal Officer Vijaya Gadde told employees there would be no renegotiation of Twitter's deal price, and other Twitter executives, including CEO Parag Agrawal, said they are cooperating with Musk's side.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


![A Woman with 50 Million Won Debt Clutches a Stolen Dior Bag and Jumps... A Monster Is Born [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)