COVID-19 Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Meeting
Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on March 2, 2022. Photo by Yonhap News
[Asia Economy Sejong=Reporter Son Seon-hee] Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum said on the 2nd, "I am aware that there is much controversy over the government's temporary suspension of the quarantine pass," but added, "This is a conclusion reached after coldly weighing the pros and cons in response to Omicron."
On the morning of the same day, Prime Minister Kim presided over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting at the Government Seoul Office and said, "Above all, I hope the public understands that this decision was made considering the need to reduce the administrative burden on public health centers and focus their capacity on protecting high-risk groups." The government has fully suspended the implementation of the vaccination certificate and negative test confirmation system nationwide since the day before.
However, Prime Minister Kim emphasized, "The temporary suspension of the quarantine pass does not in any way diminish the importance of vaccination," and said, "Vaccination remains the most powerful weapon against Omicron. I earnestly request continued participation in vaccination."
As of this day, the daily number of new COVID-19 cases is expected to exceed 200,000. Prime Minister Kim expressed concern, saying, "As the spread accelerates toward its peak, the number of confirmed cases is doubling approximately every week," and "The number of critically ill patients and deaths is also gradually increasing." He added, "With the arrival of spring, social activities are increasing, and with the start of the new school term, there is a possibility of further spread of infection, especially among adolescents."
Nevertheless, Prime Minister Kim stated, "We are fully prepared to overcome Omicron," noting, "We have secured more than 2,700 intensive care unit beds, and despite the increase in critically ill patients, the utilization rate is maintained at 50%," and "For those under 60 who have completed the third vaccination, the fatality rate has so far been confirmed as '0'."
He continued, "While complacency is forbidden, there is no need to be fearful," emphasizing, "Now is the time to focus all efforts on the clear goal of 'minimizing critical illness and deaths.'"
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.
![From Hostess to Organ Seller to High Society... The Grotesque Scam of a "Human Counterfeit" Shaking the Korean Psyche [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
