본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Wish He Had Told the Truth..." Gwangju May Organizations Express Outrage Over Jeon Du-hwan's Death

Death at Home in Yeonhui-dong, Seoul at 8:40 AM on the 23rd

May Organization: "Missed Numerous Opportunities for Repentance... Will Hold Accountable Until the End"

"Wish He Had Told the Truth..." Gwangju May Organizations Express Outrage Over Jeon Du-hwan's Death [Image source=Yonhap News]

[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Jo Hyung-joo] When Jeon Du-hwan passed away on the morning of the 23rd at his home in Yeonhui-dong, Seoul, May organizations could not hide their regret over "not being able to hold him accountable until the end."


The May organizations spoke in unison, saying, "We cannot help but feel a sense of emptiness, but he will surely face the judgment of history."


Cho Jin-tae, Executive Director of the 5·18 Memorial Foundation, said, "Death does not erase guilt," adding, "The trial of Father Cho Bio is in its final stages, and it is regrettable that he left without being held accountable."


He emphasized, "He had time to ask for forgiveness while alive, but he ultimately refused until the end and left, so the May victims will hold him responsible for that as well."


Lee Myung-ja, Director of the May Mothers' House, expressed, "As a family member of the 5·18 victims, my heart feels heavy and I cannot offer sincere condolences for his passing so quietly and emptily," adding, "There were high expectations for the punishment of those responsible, the uncovering of the truth, and an apology to Gwangju, but despite several opportunities, he did not comply," revealing her frustration.


She continued, "I hoped he would say at least a word before dying, but that hope has vanished, leaving me feeling empty and hollow," she said with a sorrowful voice.


Hwang Il-bong, Secretary General of the 5·18 Injured Association, said, "If he was going to leave so emptily, it would have been better if he had spoken the truth about 5·18. It is very regrettable," expressing his frustration, "I had last hopes that he would admit his wrongdoings and repent."


The late Father Cho Bio and lawyer Kim Jung-ho from the 5·18 organizations said, "Since the defendant has died, the criminal trial will be dismissed, but because the first trial recognized the helicopter shooting and issued a guilty verdict, it will remain in history."


They added, "The civil trial will proceed through the succession of litigation procedures, and since several issues such as the North Korean intervention theory remain alive, we will take one step further to uncover the truth," explaining, "However, Jeon’s family may renounce inheritance, claiming that the inherited property is only 290,000 won, and if the family court accepts the renunciation, they may be exempt from the lawsuit."


They pointed out, "We hoped Jeon would reflect and apologize before history, the people, and the citizens of Gwangju, but he showed irresponsible behavior."


Meanwhile, Jeon Du-hwan collapsed at his home around 8:45 a.m. that day. It was reported that only his wife, Lee Soon-ja, was at home at the time. Jeon had been suffering from multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer.


Jeon died 29 days after his comrade in the December 12 coup, Roh Tae-woo, passed away.




© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top