Admits 7 Charges Including Robbery and Murder
Claims Partial Distortion of Indictment Facts
Kang Yoon-sung (56), who is accused of killing two women in succession before and after damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet), kicked a microphone held by reporters trying to ask questions while attending a warrant hearing at the Seoul Eastern District Court on August 31. [Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] "Even if I am sentenced to death today, I will not file an objection."
This was said by Kang Yoon-sung (56), who was put on trial for damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet) and murdering two women, as he admitted to the charges in his first trial. However, he also claimed that some of the prosecution's facts were distorted.
According to the court on the 17th, the 12th Criminal Division of the Seoul Eastern District Court (Chief Judge Park Sang-gu) held the first hearing on the 14th for Kang, who was indicted on a total of seven charges including robbery-murder, murder, fraud, obstruction of official duties, violation of the Specialized Credit Finance Business Act, violation of the Telecommunications Business Act, and violation of the Act on Electronic Monitoring Devices.
Kang was arrested and indicted on charges of killing a woman in her 40s, Ms. A, at his home around 9:30 p.m. on August 26, cutting off his electronic anklet and fleeing the next day, and then killing a woman in her 50s, Ms. B, in a vehicle around 3:30 a.m. on the 29th. It was understood that he planned the crimes for economic reasons.
At the first trial, Kang’s defense attorney stated, "We fully admit to the charges." Kang himself also admitted to the charges. Kang said, "Regarding the killings, regardless of the reason, I admit to the extent that I do not want the indictment to be read aloud." He also choked up while giving his statement.
Earlier, during the Chuseok holiday, Kang wrote a letter to his lawyer saying, "Only a death sentence can be the last chance to sincerely apologize even a little to the bereaved families," and "I sincerely ask that you do not defend me in any way."
However, he claimed that the crimes were not premeditated and that he did not use a weapon when killing Ms. A. Kang said, "I have never searched for how to kill a person nor do I know how to," and "I didn’t know if she was really dead or just pretending to be unconscious, so I checked by pricking her with the tip of a knife like an injection."
He also said that he was in a romantic relationship with Ms. B and "was obsessed with the idea that I had to give her money out of blind love." To repay money, he purchased a mobile phone with Ms. A’s credit card and disposed of it, handing over 4.1 million won.
Kang Yoon-sung (56), who is accused of murdering two women before and after damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet), is being transferred to the prosecution from Songpa Police Station in Seoul on the 7th of last month. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@
This attitude of Kang’s was in stark contrast to the demeanor he showed when he appeared in court for the pre-arrest suspect interrogation (warrant review). On August 31, when reporters asked about his motive, he kicked away a broadcast microphone, saying, "Report properly." After the review, he said, "I regret not killing more," and "I committed the crime because society is f***ed up."
Kang’s next trial is scheduled for November 9 at 2 p.m.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

